Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chodrick
Frequent Visitor

SUMIFS Formula Replicate in Power BI Desktop

Okay, I have struggled for 2 days trying to figure this out to no avail.  I am trying to replicate the below SUMIFS formula in Power BI Desktop:

=IF([@Invoice]="","",SUMIFS('Customer Posted Pmt Jnl'!AO:AO,'Customer Posted Pmt Jnl'!AJ:AJ,[@Invoice],'Customer Posted Pmt Jnl'!AW:AW,"CUSTOMER PMT"))

I want to pull the total dollar amount on invoices flagged for "customer pmt".  The data is in two different tables: 1) An Aging table that has the original invoices and also where I want the formula to reside and 2) A Customer Posted Pmt table that has the invoices with the payment types (i.e. CUSTOMER PMT).

Can someone please help me with this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@chodrick 

I modified your file to have a tble of all the unique invoices then joined that to each of the fact tables.  Then we can use the master invoice table to sum amounts from the 4 detail tables.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s7geja95r1dz1k4/Recoveries%20Report.pbix?dl=0

recoverymodel.jpg

I also put in a measure to sum the total of the payment column in the [CustPmtJnl_Q2] and an additional measure to sum that amount for only [RECOVERY TYPE] = "CUSTOMER PMT"

Payment Amount = SUM ( CustPmtJnl_Q2[Payment] )
Customer Payment Amount = 
CALCULATE(
    [Payment Amount],
    KEEPFILTERS(CustPmtJnl_Q2[RECOVERY TYPE] = "CUSTOMER PMT")
)

Using the master invoice list and writing mesasures over the other tables will let you combine the data together how you need.

Now you will probably need a master customer table and to add the customer number to the invoice table.  This is where you would want to start working with your company IT / BI folks to help get you the data you need for your model.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Hello @chodrick ,

Can you give us an idea of how the model is layed out?  Are the aging table and payment table related to each other:

TableRelationships.jpg

Or do you have a master customer table that sits over the Aging and Payments tables?

@jdbuchanan71 

The Aging table and Payments table are not related. There is a Many to Many relationship based on the invoice which is why I need a SUMIFS formula based on the Payments table. The invoice can be repeated several times in the Payments table based on the type of payment and the date of the payment. I do not have a master customer table that sits over the Aging and Payments tables.

@chodrick If you added a customer table over the top of your 2 fact tables that would be the way to go.  You should also have a date table in your model.  Having the top level dimension tables will help a ton with creating reports and is really how PowerBI is designed to work.

@jdbuchanan71 

Apologies, but I am very new to Power BI.  How would adding a master customer table and date table help in obtaining the sum of a certain type of payment by invoice number on the Aging table?  That is what my original formula depicts above.  And what would I include on the master customer table?

@chodrick Gotcha, no a customer table would not help with that.  Any chance you can share your model so I can see the data? Perhaps an example of the desired output from your excel file as well.

@jdbuchanan71 

I don't see where I can attach files in here.  Would I just send you screenshots?

You would need to load the file to a service like OneDrive or DropBox and share the link.

@jdbuchanan71 

See link below.  I hope this works!

https://teaminc-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/r/personal/camille_hodrick_teaminc_com/Documents/Power%20BI%20...

@jdbuchanan71 wrote:

You would need to load the file to a service like OneDrive or DropBox and share the link.

@chodrick Nope, I don't have access to your sharepoint which is probably the way your network security team wants it Smiley Happy

You can set up a personal dropbox account in just a couple minutes and use that. https://www.dropbox.com

@chodrick 

I modified your file to have a tble of all the unique invoices then joined that to each of the fact tables.  Then we can use the master invoice table to sum amounts from the 4 detail tables.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s7geja95r1dz1k4/Recoveries%20Report.pbix?dl=0

recoverymodel.jpg

I also put in a measure to sum the total of the payment column in the [CustPmtJnl_Q2] and an additional measure to sum that amount for only [RECOVERY TYPE] = "CUSTOMER PMT"

Payment Amount = SUM ( CustPmtJnl_Q2[Payment] )
Customer Payment Amount = 
CALCULATE(
    [Payment Amount],
    KEEPFILTERS(CustPmtJnl_Q2[RECOVERY TYPE] = "CUSTOMER PMT")
)

Using the master invoice list and writing mesasures over the other tables will let you combine the data together how you need.

Now you will probably need a master customer table and to add the customer number to the invoice table.  This is where you would want to start working with your company IT / BI folks to help get you the data you need for your model.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.