Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

JoshM3212

SQL Server Connect error - We Couldn't authenticate with the credentials provided. please try again

I'm getting this error message when I try to add a sql server db as a new data source. I can use the same credentials to login to the sql dbs via other methods.  Can't find anything online about what might be going wrong. Cleared credentials from the options menu which I saw another post about but no luck at all.  Please help.  

JoshM3212_1-1707943586297.png

2 REPLIES 2
v-yohua-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @JoshM3212 

Some common reasons why you encounter errors when adding a SQL Server database as a new data source include incorrect configuration settings, network connectivity issues, or issues with the SQL Server instance itself. Make sure that your database name and server name are correct.

And make sure you're using the right way to authenticate. If you are using Windows authentication, but the database configuration only accepts SQL Server authentication, you will not be able to authenticate.

Make sure that the account you're using has sufficient permissions to access the specified database.

You may need to try to resolve the issue by checking the configuration settings for the data source, making sure you have a stable network connection, and verifying that the SQL Server instance is functioning properly. Check if there are any firewalls blocking the connection to SQL Server.

Or you can clear all your permissions and turn Power BI Desktop off and then reopen it to connect to SQL Server again

The following links may be helpful to you:

Troubleshoot connectivity issues in SQL Server - SQL Server | Microsoft Learn

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Best Regards

Yongkang Hua

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks, but none of this helped. I tried many different ways of authenticating, all failed.  Wound up talking to someone from MS who got me to a point where it said it was a db SSL issue.  Waiting for help from my DBAs.  Don't really understand this solution but that's what they said.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.