Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR in a Calculated Column

Hi,

I need the Sales Last Year (Sales LY) as a Calculated Column in my Data Base so I can compare Sales vs Sales LY in a Scatter Chart by Peer.

My problem is that when I apply the SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR formula I get the same Value as this year rather than LY . 

In the below Value LY = 

CALCULATE ( SUM(Append1[Value]),
FILTER(ALL(Append1[Date]),
SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(Append1[Date]))) ... but I get 1100 instead of 1045 from last year:

Pbi1.PNG

If I use 

In the below Value LY = 

SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(Append1[Date])) ... It come a Blank cell

For sure I am not getting right the filters or orw context ... can someone please help me?
Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Tahreem24
Super User
Super User

You could also try the below :

DATEADD(Append1[Date], -1,YEAR))
or
ParallelPeriod(Append1[Date], -1,YEAR))

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

In your measure, you are trying to get the Sum for the date one year ago.  If that is what you are looking for (vs. getting a sum over a broader previous period like quarter), this expression would do it too:

Sales LY =
VAR ayearago =
DATE ( YEAR ( Append1[Date]) - 1, MONTH ( Append1[Date] ), DAY ( Append1[Date] ) )
RETURN
CALCULATE (
SUM ( Append1[Value] ),
ALL ( Append1 ),
Append1[Date] = ayearago,
VALUES ( Append1[Peer] )  
)

I am not sure what columns you need to keep constant (Peer, Source, etc.) so you can add/replace a Values() term like this for each one to keep the same for the calculation.

If this works for you, please mark it as solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

This was the only resolution from this page that resolved my issue.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your answer, I have tried the below but is still not giving me the Last Year Value for the Account Selected.

Value LY =
VAR ayearago =
DATE ( YEAR ( Append1[Date]) - 1, MONTH ( Append1[Date] ), DAY ( Append1[Date] ) )
RETURN
CALCULATE (
SUM ( Append1[Value] ),
ALL ( Append1 ),
Append1[Date] = ayearago,
VALUES ( Append1[Peer] ), VALUES(Append1[Cons Lvl]), VALUES(Append1[Period View]), VALUES(Append1[Account]), VALUES(Append1[Region]),VALUES(Append1[Source Date]), VALUES(Append1[Source])
)

Pbi2.PNG
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just for clarification, My Period View includes only 3 dimensions QTD, YTD and LTM. YTD and LTM are not necessarilly the sum of the Quarters since due to rounding several companies does not make that precise. So the data base has all 3 of them as a Value for each Peer.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Make sure you use Date calendar for that

YTD QTY = TOTALYTD(Sum('order'[Qty]),'Date'[Date])
LYTD QTY = TOTALYTD(Sum('order'[Qty]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,year))
Previous Year = CALCULATE(SUM('order'[Qty]), PREVIOUSYEAR('Date'[Date]))
// Forced from Today
YTD QTY forced= 
var _max = today()
return
calculate(Sum('order'[Qty]),DATESYTD('Date'[Date]),'Date'[Date]<=_max)
//calculate(TOTALYTD(Sum('order'[Qty]),'Date'[Date]),filter('Date','Date'[Date]<=_max))
//
LYTD QTY forced= 
var _max = date(year(today())-1,month(today()),day(today()))
return
CALCULATE(Sum('order'[Qty]),DATESYTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,year)),'Date'[Date]<=_max)
//TOTALYTD(Sum('order'[Qty]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,year),'Date'[Date]<=_max)
//Forced from Max date this year
YTD QTY forced= 
var _max = maxx('order',[Order date])
return
calculate(Sum('order'[Qty]),DATESYTD('Date'[Date]),'Date'[Date]<=_max)
//calculate(TOTALYTD(Sum('order'[Qty]),'Date'[Date]),filter('Date','Date'[Date]<=_max))

LYTD QTY forced= 
var _max1 =maxx('order',[Order date])
var _max = date(year(_max1)-1,month(_max1),day(_max1))
return
CALCULATE(Sum('order'[Qty]),DATESYTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,year)),'Date'[Date]<=_max)
//TOTALYTD(Sum('order'[Qty]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,year),'Date'[Date]<=_max)

//

This Year = CALCULATE(sum('order'[Qty]),filter(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Year]=max('Date'[Year])))
Last Year = CALCULATE(sum('order'[Qty]),filter(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Year]=max('Date'[Year])-1))

To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s. Refer :
https://radacad.com/creating-calendar-table-in-power-bi-using-dax-functions
https://www.archerpoint.com/blog/Posts/creating-date-table-power-bi
https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/creating-a-simple-date-table-in-dax/

See if my webinar on Time Intelligence can help: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Webinars-and-Video-Gallery/PowerBI-Time-Intelligence-Calendar-WTD-YTD-LYTD-Week-Over-Week/m-p/1051626#M184

Appreciate your Kudos.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

See if my Time Intelligence the Hard Way provides a different way of accomplishing what you are going for.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Time-Intelligence-quot-The-Hard-Way-quot-TIT...

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.