Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PaulVanS
Regular Visitor

Return Field Value using Max of an Existing Measure (IE: showing the name of league winner)

Good morning,

In order to learn Power BI, I am creating an App that analyses the results of my local poker league.  

My data model can be seen in the attached imagedata model.PNG

I have created a measure that SUMS the points earned by players during the 2nd season of our local poker league with the measure:

Season Total Points = SUM(Results_Final[Points])

If I create a table that lists the players and the measure and then filter by season (Name), I can see the results are correct.

Points by player.PNG

I would like to create (I assume a Measure) have a table that has the dimension [Name], therefore showing all the seasons that have occured so far, and in the second column I would like to show the winner of that season (so therefore to effectively find the [Player] with the maximum Season Total Points from the measure defined above).  In the instances of a tie, the winner can be just taken from the first alphabetically of the Players with the most total points.

Please can someone help me with how I would achieve this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Greg_Deckler,

Thank you very much for the reading.  Will definitely take a deep dive into it a bit later.  I have actually managed to achieve the results using the following formula:

Season Winner = FIRSTNONBLANK(TOPN(1,VALUES(Results_Final[Player]),[Season Total Points]),1)

That said, once again thank you very much for your response and blog!

Kind regards,

Paul

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@PaulVanS This looks like a measure aggregation problem. See my blog article about that here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Design-Pattern-Groups-and-Super-Groups/ba-p/138149

The pattern is:
MinScoreMeasure = MINX ( SUMMARIZE ( Table, Table[Group] , "Measure",[YourMeasure] ), [Measure])
MaxScoreMeasure = MAXX ( SUMMARIZE ( Table, Table[Group] , "Measure",[YourMeasure] ), [Measure])
AvgScoreMeasure = AVERAGEX ( SUMMARIZE ( Table, Table[Group] , "Measure",[YourMeasure] ), [Measure])
etc.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @Greg_Deckler,

Thank you very much for the reading.  Will definitely take a deep dive into it a bit later.  I have actually managed to achieve the results using the following formula:

Season Winner = FIRSTNONBLANK(TOPN(1,VALUES(Results_Final[Player]),[Season Total Points]),1)

That said, once again thank you very much for your response and blog!

Kind regards,

Paul

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.