Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pauline020
Frequent Visitor

Report theme: give current year same color in all visuals

We are using the same template with our company colors for all our reports, which works fine. However, I've found (and read in topic https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Report-Theme-Colors/m-p/242920#M107802) that the data colors are used in the order in which they are listed in the JSON file.

Is there a way to 'turn this order around'? What I mean: we have different reports, where the current year is of course 2018, and for business understanding I want the current year to be displayed in bright orange, last year in grey, the year before that in black, and so on.

I encounter two problems here:

1. Some reports have data from 2013 to current year, others f.e. from 2016 to current, so I cannot set the first color on black, then grey etc, because this will not turn 2018 orange in all the cases

2. It will be 2019 someday, where the current orange year is not the current anymore

My solution would be to use the colors 'backwards', but I don't think there is an option like that, is there? Or would there be another solution to achieve this goal and not have to change each and every visual separately?

Thanks!

Pauline

(PS: what I could do is set a template per datamodel, making sure 2016 is black, 2017 grey, 2018 orange by counting the years before that and give those different colors, but this is not very sustainable and does not fix question #2)

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi!

I hade a similar issue in that I wanted the market segments to have a uniformity in colours across several graphs. 

So long as the graphs are all of the same type you can select all of those on the same page and perfrom the changes once. 

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @pauline020,

unfortunately it's not possible to give a value of column a "report wide" formatting.

I'm aware that you are not looking for this kind of message, but don't shoot the messenger 🙂

Regards

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Thank for your fast reply Tom! Was afraid to hear this answer 😉

Maybe someone else has a best practice, who knows...

@pauline020,

It is not possible to achieve your requirement using report theme, you can submit a feature request in Power BI ideas forum.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.