Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Refreshing data with scheduled refresh (powerBI service)

Hello everyone!

Just a simple questiom, I was wondering if when you schedule some auto refresh on your database and one of your queries (or one of the datasource) fails to update, will the others update? Or is it a case of all get updated or none will get updated?

This question just came up when I was building one measure to indicate at the top of the report if the data was updated that day or not. So I have created one simple table at the query editor that gives me the time when i refresh it. So the point is, this query will always work and will never give me any kind of trouble, but sometimes other queries (from other data sources like SQL Server) crashes, so I questioned myself if other queries crashes, would this new table that i've created be updated? Because i just wanna display if all the data were updated or not, If just one of the many queries was not updated then I want to display that the report isn't up to date.

Thanks for the support!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @Anonymous 

Queries such as Power BI refreshes and Azure Analysis Services refreshes can return large amounts of data. For such queries, the data is temporarily stored on the gateway machine.

This data storage continues until all data is received from the data source. Then send the data back to the cloud service. So once one of the queries fails, the entire dataset cannot be refreshed successfully. 

You can refer to this article to learn more about the role of gateways in data refresh.

On-premises data gateway architecture 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , the refresh will fail on the first failure.

If you are using premium, you can use SSMS studio refresh single table as per need

Power BI Premium - XMLA Endpoint - Data Refresh using SQL Server Management Studio (refresh table/tables as per need)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak Thanks for replying!

So that means in case i have 40 queries built in the query editor and just 1 of them fail, everything won't be updated by the scheduled refresh? That's cool because I will be able to stick with my first solution (because if one the query fails, the date refresh table that i've built won't be updated)

Hi, @Anonymous 

Queries such as Power BI refreshes and Azure Analysis Services refreshes can return large amounts of data. For such queries, the data is temporarily stored on the gateway machine.

This data storage continues until all data is received from the data source. Then send the data back to the cloud service. So once one of the queries fails, the entire dataset cannot be refreshed successfully. 

You can refer to this article to learn more about the role of gateways in data refresh.

On-premises data gateway architecture 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.