Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

juanjohn
Regular Visitor

PowerBI visualize a large timeline with a non uniform X axis

I have a dataset that has values recorded over the past 4 years. I can visualize it by plotting it the normal way where the X-axis is very long when I group values based on the week. (Roughly 4*52). However so much granularity is not required for the older data. Can I instead have a visualization such that in the current month bucket size is one week. For values older than 4 weeks and earlier than a quater each month is the bucket. Further older than the current quarter, bucket size elarges to a year. 

Is such a functionality achievable by viaualization or settings? Or something similar? 

2 REPLIES 2
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Probably not so much in any currently available visual.  However you can achieve your custom buckets simply by adding a column to your date table which uses DAX to dynamically allocate days to buckets.

Bare in mind, if you have a bucket with more days, any measure based on SUM will be larger in your visual.  Perhaps you could switch to AVERAGE to get a better trend line?

Let me know if this sounds interesting and I'll knock something up.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

The solution you mentioned using custom buckets using DAX is also a uniform X-axis right? I wanted a differnetial sizing of buckets over time. I guess, I will use fourth different timeline graphs with different bucket sizes 😄 Thanks for the answer Phil. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.