Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Scussett
Frequent Visitor

New Measure Issue - 'single value for column' error

Hi All,

I'm new to PBI.  I'll start at the beggining!  I'm trying to create a Sales Leaderboard with data coming from our CRM.  I have the following relationships:Sales Leaderboard Right Side Relationships.png

The reason I'm putting together the relationships this way is for a couple of reasons:

1. Order Line Item and Order Split have no direct relationship.  So one Order can have many line items, and many splits.
  2. The sales personnel I want to track are not always the owner of the order (hence why there is a relationship from Order Split to User).

Here is what I want to be able to do:

1. At the Order Line Item level, I only want to pay sales people for the first 12 months of a deal.  I have the start and end date of each Order Line Item, and I created a column called 'Pro Rated Margin' that looks at the Order Line Item and determines the amount for the first 12 months. This works.
  2. At the Order level, I have created a column called Pro Rated Margin Total that sums the Order Line Item's Pro Rated Margin for the Order ID.  This works.
  3. At the Order Split level, I have a measure (Split Margin Total) that sums the Order's Pro Rated Margin Total for that Order, and I want to multiply it through by the Split Percentage/100.  This does not work!
    1. It works when I get the sum of Pro Rated Margin Total for that Order ID - but I cannot seem to get it to work when I multiply thourgh by Split Percentage/100.  This causes the 'A single value for column...' error.
    2. This is the function I am using:
      1. Pro Rated Margin - Order Total = SUMX('Order (2)',
        CALCULATE(VALUES('Order (2)'[Pro Rated Margin Total]),FILTER('Order Split','Order Split'[Order__c] = 'Order (2)'[Id])
        )
        )

Here is a practical example:

1. Order A has two Order Line Items:
    1. Software 1, which is a 24 month license for 24,000 USD.
    2. Software 2, which is a 12 month license for 10,000 USD.
  2. Order A has two Order Splits:
    1. Person 1 has a 50% split.
    2. Person 2 has a 50% split.
  3. Order B has one Order Line Item:
    1. Software 1, which is a 12 month license for 5,000 USD.
  4. Order B has one Order Split
    1. Person 1 has a 100% split.

For Order A, the Pro Rated Margin Total equals the sum of the Pro Rated Margin of each Order Line Item:

• This is calculated as (12/24 * 24,000) + (12/12 * 10,000) = 22,000.

For Order A, the Order Split's Split Margin Total for Person 1 is 11,000, and for Person 2 it is 11,000.

For Order B, the Pro Rated Margin Total is: (12/12 * 5,000) = 5,000.

For Order B, the Order Split's Split Margin Total for Person 1 is 5,000.

The Sales Leaderboard would then be calculated as:

1. Person 1 - 17,000
  2. Person 2 - 11,000

I'm happy to upload some data, I just need to make it sample data.  Should I just create a new set of basic tables to handle this?

I appreciate all of your help.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey @Scussett

I sent you the solution (pbix) file by mail, hope it worked out. Cheers!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
parry2k
Super User
Super User

Hey @Scussett

If you can put sample data in excel sheet as different tabs and send it over, I will put something for you.

Sending you my email address thru private message. Cheers!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Hey @Scussett

I sent you the solution (pbix) file by mail, hope it worked out. Cheers!

I knows its been a while, but are you able to send a copy of this to me as well? This is exactly what I'm looking for.

What you sent me worked like a charm.  Just wanted to say thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.