Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

aclark7020
Frequent Visitor

Nested table inside table visual - is this possible?

I want to display a main table and subtable within the same visual. Is there a way to put the subtable into a column and display as a nested table, the way you can with html? Or even a nested list? The dependent table only displays the file upload date, but it's paired with an additional column that supplies the URL that makes the date a link. 

Right now it looks like this, with the selected value in the main table having 3 rows in the dependent table:

Main table:                                     Dependent Subtable:

aclark7020_1-1665536405810.png

If there's a better way to do it, I'm open to alternatives. I tried extracting the multiple values into a semicolon-separated list in order to get them into one column, but that didn't work well for turning them into links. I also tried a matrix with the dependent table as a nested row but that made all the other data repeat 3 times, see example below.  Ultimately I need a spreadsheet-like result that people can export and sort. 

aclark7020_2-1665537645262.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
aclark7020
Frequent Visitor

End result of this quest, after a lot of research: Power BI is not HTML and is not built to handle nested tables the way I want. In the end I had to redesign my report to display the 1-to-M relationship in 2 separate table visuals, and my customers will just have to get used to it. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
aclark7020
Frequent Visitor

End result of this quest, after a lot of research: Power BI is not HTML and is not built to handle nested tables the way I want. In the end I had to redesign my report to display the 1-to-M relationship in 2 separate table visuals, and my customers will just have to get used to it. 

I went through all of the links you suggested and sorry to report I didn't see the connection with what I'm trying to do. It all seems to be about statistics and summary-level computations. Probably I'm just not an advanced enough user to see how to apply these tools to created a nested subtable within a column. But I will keep experimenting. And alternative ideas are still welcome! 

Are you just trying to pull the date/time stamp into the table visual as a column and not part of the hierarchy that your capture is showing?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.