Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

aclark7020
Frequent Visitor

Nested table inside table visual - is this possible?

I want to display a main table and subtable within the same visual. Is there a way to put the subtable into a column and display as a nested table, the way you can with html? Or even a nested list? The dependent table only displays the file upload date, but it's paired with an additional column that supplies the URL that makes the date a link. 

Right now it looks like this, with the selected value in the main table having 3 rows in the dependent table:

Main table:                                     Dependent Subtable:

aclark7020_1-1665536405810.png

If there's a better way to do it, I'm open to alternatives. I tried extracting the multiple values into a semicolon-separated list in order to get them into one column, but that didn't work well for turning them into links. I also tried a matrix with the dependent table as a nested row but that made all the other data repeat 3 times, see example below.  Ultimately I need a spreadsheet-like result that people can export and sort. 

aclark7020_2-1665537645262.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
aclark7020
Frequent Visitor

End result of this quest, after a lot of research: Power BI is not HTML and is not built to handle nested tables the way I want. In the end I had to redesign my report to display the 1-to-M relationship in 2 separate table visuals, and my customers will just have to get used to it. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
aclark7020
Frequent Visitor

End result of this quest, after a lot of research: Power BI is not HTML and is not built to handle nested tables the way I want. In the end I had to redesign my report to display the 1-to-M relationship in 2 separate table visuals, and my customers will just have to get used to it. 

I went through all of the links you suggested and sorry to report I didn't see the connection with what I'm trying to do. It all seems to be about statistics and summary-level computations. Probably I'm just not an advanced enough user to see how to apply these tools to created a nested subtable within a column. But I will keep experimenting. And alternative ideas are still welcome! 

Are you just trying to pull the date/time stamp into the table visual as a column and not part of the hierarchy that your capture is showing?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.