Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

RonaldvdH
Post Patron
Post Patron

Measure table doesn't interact with other visuals

I was wondering why my measure table isn't interacting with the other visuals in my report.

I'm guessing it's because there is no relationship between my measure table and the other tables right ?

If so .... is there a solution for it ? besides placing the measures back in the orginal table ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jialongy-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Thanks for your prompt reply @Greg_Deckler 

Hi @RonaldvdH 

In Power BI, measures do calculations using data from one or more tables, and these calculations are reflected in visuals. If your measure table isn't interacting with other visuals as expected, it's crucial to ensure that there are appropriate relationships established between your measure table and the tables containing the data you're analyzing. Here are a few steps and considerations to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue:

1. Verify Existing Relationships: Ensure that there are relationships between your measure table and other relevant tables. If there are no relationships, visuals may not be able to use the measures effectively.

2. Use of Measure Table: Typically, a measure table doesn't contain data but is used to organize measures logically. If you're using a measure table without any direct relationship to other data tables, consider using measures directly within the tables where your data resides, or ensure that your measure formulas correctly aggregate data across the related tables.

Best Regards,

Jayleny

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-jialongy-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Thanks for your prompt reply @Greg_Deckler 

Hi @RonaldvdH 

In Power BI, measures do calculations using data from one or more tables, and these calculations are reflected in visuals. If your measure table isn't interacting with other visuals as expected, it's crucial to ensure that there are appropriate relationships established between your measure table and the tables containing the data you're analyzing. Here are a few steps and considerations to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue:

1. Verify Existing Relationships: Ensure that there are relationships between your measure table and other relevant tables. If there are no relationships, visuals may not be able to use the measures effectively.

2. Use of Measure Table: Typically, a measure table doesn't contain data but is used to organize measures logically. If you're using a measure table without any direct relationship to other data tables, consider using measures directly within the tables where your data resides, or ensure that your measure formulas correctly aggregate data across the related tables.

Best Regards,

Jayleny

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@RonaldvdH Sorry, having trouble following, can you post sample data as text and expected output?
Not really enough information to go on, please first check if your issue is a common issue listed here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Before-You-Post-Read-This/ba-p/1116882

Also, please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

The most important parts are:
1. Sample data as text, use the table tool in the editing bar
2. Expected output from sample data
3. Explanation in words of how to get from 1. to 2.

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler thanks for answering.

My issue is that ive got a report where all the measures have been placed in a new 'table' and that table has NO relationships with the actual data tabels.
So when I click on a visual which only has Data from the measure table the other visuals dont 'interact'.

If those measures were in the original tabels then I know visuals would interact with the measures

@RonaldvdH That's not how measures work. It doesn't matter what table is the "home" table for a measure and relationships do not directly impact measures. Relationships only impact the underlying tables. So, it is a matter of exactly what your measure is doing and which tables it is accessing for its data.

For example:

Measure = 5

This measure will never be impacted by any relationships between tables no matter which table it happens to call "home". It will always and forever return 5 regardless of slicers, begging, pleading or prayers to the contrary.

Now, a measure like this:

Measure = SUM( 'Sales Table'[Value] )

This measure will be impacted by relationships that filter the Sales Table. If you have a slicer that impacts the Product table only then this measure will not be affected by that slicer. Only direct or indirect relationships that filter the Sales Table will affect the measure. Additionally, it does not matter if this measure calls the Sales Table, Product table or a separate "measures" table home. Does not matter in the least.

Hence, it is quite impossible to answer your question without the additional information that was requested.

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.