Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

genashpuryk
Frequent Visitor

No link between dates

Hello colleagues! I have met a small silly problem, which prevents me from finalising my project. It is about dates and line charts.
I have a line chart with 2 sets of values on Y axis: cost (from one table) and shipment (from another table). X axis is date hierarchy -month, specifically. The problem is, if X axis data (date) comes from shipment table - shipment data is listed correctly, cost is just a line: 

genashpuryk_0-1713426391252.png

if X is taken from cost table, then shipments are just a line: 

genashpuryk_1-1713426467092.png

I checked various combinations of datefields used, but nothing works quite as I need. Date is formatted the same in both tables, so it's not really a reason.

I would be very grateful if you could give me any hints on solving this problem. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ChiragGarg2512
Super User
Super User

1) Check the joins between the tables.

2) The X-axis data in one is date-wise while the other is month-wise[Year is not discrete].

3) Try creating a separate date table, join both the tables' date columns to the date table, and use that for the x-axis.

View solution in original post

v-nuoc-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @genashpuryk 

@ChiragGarg2512 Thank you very much for your prompt reply. Creating a separate date sheet is very much the right thing to do.

Here I have provided another idea, again related to creating a table relationship.

If you are not considering creating a separate date table, then try creating a relationship based on the date columns of both tables.

Here's some dummy data

“nature”

vnuocmsft_0-1713769716064.png

“shipment”

vnuocmsft_1-1713769752241.png

Create table relationships by dragging and dropping in the model view.

vnuocmsft_2-1713769787501.png

Here is the result.

vnuocmsft_3-1713769926480.png

Regards,

Nono Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-nuoc-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @genashpuryk 

@ChiragGarg2512 Thank you very much for your prompt reply. Creating a separate date sheet is very much the right thing to do.

Here I have provided another idea, again related to creating a table relationship.

If you are not considering creating a separate date table, then try creating a relationship based on the date columns of both tables.

Here's some dummy data

“nature”

vnuocmsft_0-1713769716064.png

“shipment”

vnuocmsft_1-1713769752241.png

Create table relationships by dragging and dropping in the model view.

vnuocmsft_2-1713769787501.png

Here is the result.

vnuocmsft_3-1713769926480.png

Regards,

Nono Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

ChiragGarg2512
Super User
Super User

1) Check the joins between the tables.

2) The X-axis data in one is date-wise while the other is month-wise[Year is not discrete].

3) Try creating a separate date table, join both the tables' date columns to the date table, and use that for the x-axis.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.