Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

muchinski
Resolver II
Resolver II

Map visual mark the wrong position for Cities outside USA

I am having this issue since the June release, it was working fine before.

The problem is with the Map visual. The ArcGIS map is working well.

In my example, the field City comes from a Multidimensional Model and it is classified as a City. I just realized that if I have a Tabular model and classify the field as 'Place', it works; but, come on, it is a city....it was working... (Also, there are no 'Place' classification on Multidimensional)

Many people are talking about this problem on the following thread, but this problem is different that the reported and delivered; so i opened this new thread.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/URGENT-Map-Visualization-Not-Working/idi-p/190743

Following you can check how I am composing the name of City fields, and the difference between the two visuals.

City.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@muchinski

The Bing Maps team is forcing a two-fold change for Power BI; they are deprecated the Bing Maps v8 Control, and are also switching to a new geocoder. Please refer to https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-june-feature-summary/#maps.

If you are using comma separated strings as a workaround to the earlier geocoder limitations, you should change to use a hierarchy. In this case, create a column called "Country", set data category to Country / Region, and add it above the State and City in the hierarchy. Then Drill Down via Hierarchy Drill (fork icon). Or you can use a City column directly as following screenshot. Please notice that there is no comma, Country for the values in City column.

Users with comma separated concatenated values may see breaks, changing Data Category of this column to Place should work, and it is actually be design.

Map visual mark the wrong position for Cities outside USA_1.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@muchinski

The Bing Maps team is forcing a two-fold change for Power BI; they are deprecated the Bing Maps v8 Control, and are also switching to a new geocoder. Please refer to https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-june-feature-summary/#maps.

If you are using comma separated strings as a workaround to the earlier geocoder limitations, you should change to use a hierarchy. In this case, create a column called "Country", set data category to Country / Region, and add it above the State and City in the hierarchy. Then Drill Down via Hierarchy Drill (fork icon). Or you can use a City column directly as following screenshot. Please notice that there is no comma, Country for the values in City column.

Users with comma separated concatenated values may see breaks, changing Data Category of this column to Place should work, and it is actually be design.

Map visual mark the wrong position for Cities outside USA_1.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

Hello @v-haibl-msft, thank you for this explanation. I just changed my dimensions ETL, created this hierarchy and everything is working very well!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.