Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Wolf01
Frequent Visitor

LOOKUPVALUE unexpected blank value

Hello, I need to determine person rank based on estimated full year performance. I tried to use an approach from this post but not fully working in my case Solved: Lookup closest value to a number - Microsoft Fabric Community

Here is sample result of my report:

Wolf01_0-1698672900001.png

• Rank 2023 is rank gained for 2023
  • Rank limit is a limit for rank gained for 2023
  • Full year performance is annualized YTD performace
    • Full year perfotmance = CALCULATE(SUM('Person'[YTD performance])/MONTH(TODAY())*12)
  • Estimation of Rank Based on Full year performance
    • This is the problematic column. What I want to do is determine Rank based on Full year performace. Basically, take the Full year performance, connect it with rank table (provided below) and print Rank.
    • Estimation of Rank Based on Full year performance =

var Full year perfotmance = CALCULATE(SUM('Person'[YTD performance])/MONTH(TODAY())*12)
var lowerRange = maxx(filter(all('Rank limits'[Rank limit]), 'Rank limits'[Rank limit] < Full year performance), 'Rank limits'[Rank limit]')
return LOOKUPVALUE('Rank limits'[Rank], 'Rank limits'[Rank limit]' , lowerRange)

• lowerrange is result of var lowerRange
    • lowerange =

var Full year perfotmance = CALCULATE(SUM('Person'[YTD performance])/MONTH(TODAY())*12)
var lowerRange = maxx(filter(all('Rank limits'[Rank limit]), 'Rank limits'[Rank limit] < Full year performance), 'Rank limits'[Rank limit]')
return lowerRange

• lower range without var syntax is another problematic column where I do not understand the results. I would expect the same result like from lowerrange measure
    • lower range without var syntax = maxx(filter(all('Rank limits'[Rank limit]), 'Rank limits'[Rank limit] < CALCULATE(SUM('Person'[YTD performance])/MONTH(TODAY())*12)), 'Rank limits'[Rank limit])

Table relations:

Person[PersonID] 1<->1 ChosenPeople[PersonID] (one-to-one)

ChosenPeople[Rank] *<->1 Rank limits[Rank] (many-to-one)

These are data from Rank limits table:

Rank

Rank limit

R7

1 681 000

R6

1 155 000

R5

825 000

R4

600 000

R3

R2

R1

R0

My questions are:

1) Why I do not get the results I am expecting (see the picture above, red writing) and I have blank values?

2) Why does measure lower range without var syntax give blank values? Is it related to problem number 1?

Thank you for help and forgive me if I am missing something obvious 🙂

3 REPLIES 3
Wolf01
Frequent Visitor

Hello, does anybody have an idea how to solve my issue? Description and sample file posted below.
I would appreciate any idea. Thank you!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Wolf01 ,
Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

Hello amitchandak, thank you for your interest. Here is pbix file with anonymized data: 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_cdmb0eJVFodnWRFgjs0g0n5u_KHwoiW/view?usp=drive_link

I have several problems with the report. I created several pages where I try to demonstrate the problem.

Note: I want to show results just for people from ChosenPeople table. Therefore there is a „all pages“ filter with their IDs.

Page1:

• Why there are not results for each row for Estimation of Rank Based on Full year performance measure?

Page 2:

• Why there are not results for each row for lower range without var syntax measure and why are there more (duplicated) rows? I thought it is just lowerrange measure rewritten without var syntax.

Page 3:

• There is measure Annual performance above/below limit which works fine. But if I use Annual performance above/below limit_v2 where i want to subtract 100%, duplicated rows for all IDs (ignoring report filter) appear. Why?

Page 4:

• I want to use Result measure. Again, more people and duplicate rows appear.

I was able to solve problem from Page 1 by adding duplicate Limit tables somehow but I do not consider it as elegant solution. I have no idea what to do with the rest. I am afraid I am doing some kind of basic mistake 😊

Thank you very much for your time and help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.