Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ynr0225
Helper V
Helper V

Issue with power BI file

Good Morning All,

I have been experiencing some issues with .pbix files when using my VPC at home and then trying to access the same files again in the office (not on my VPC and on my VPC).  The files are coming up as corrupted, but seems to be a pattern when I work from home and then come into the office.  It has happened several times, but not every time. 

I was able to grab a temporary file as shown in below path.  I wanted to reach out if there was something I could do to prevent this from occurring or if this is a common issue or not. 

C:\Users\----your user name ----\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\TempSaves\

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yilong-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Ynr0225 ,

For your question, I think the common reasons for .pbix file corruption may be network outages, software errors or incompatibilities, and lack of disk space.

I think you can make sure that there is enough free space on the local drive where you are storing the .pbix file, when working remotely, make sure you have a stable internet connection and always create a backup of the .pbix file is also necessary.

If you’ve published the file to Power BI Service, download the latest version from there. Alternatively, install an older version of Power BI Desktop and try opening the file.You can read this topic for some helps: Solved: pbix file is corrupted and can't be opened by Powe... - Microsoft Fabric Community

You can also look at the Auto recovery in Power BI Desktop. I think this topic may help you: Solved: Corrupted PBI Desktop - Microsoft Fabric Community

vyilongmsft_0-1708329391518.png

Best Regards

Yilong Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yilong-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Ynr0225 ,

For your question, I think the common reasons for .pbix file corruption may be network outages, software errors or incompatibilities, and lack of disk space.

I think you can make sure that there is enough free space on the local drive where you are storing the .pbix file, when working remotely, make sure you have a stable internet connection and always create a backup of the .pbix file is also necessary.

If you’ve published the file to Power BI Service, download the latest version from there. Alternatively, install an older version of Power BI Desktop and try opening the file.You can read this topic for some helps: Solved: pbix file is corrupted and can't be opened by Powe... - Microsoft Fabric Community

You can also look at the Auto recovery in Power BI Desktop. I think this topic may help you: Solved: Corrupted PBI Desktop - Microsoft Fabric Community

vyilongmsft_0-1708329391518.png

Best Regards

Yilong Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

If you have a Pro license you can open a Pro ticket at https://admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com/newsupportticket/powerbi
Otherwise you can raise an issue at https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues .

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.