Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Max
Frequent Visitor

Is it possible to extend/update the dataset for the provided Project Online content pack?

Project Online was added in the services list and PowerBI app provides a content pack for it.
I connected and a dataset, reports and a dashboard are provided. Just outstanding!

My question is, Is it possible to extend/update the dataset for the provided Project Online content pack?

I tried to explore the dataset but I don't see how can I add Enterprise custom fields from my tenant or how to explore some of the calculated fields provided.

I also tried PowerBI desktop but I can't find a corresponding Project Online datasource or connection in the "Get Data" dialog.

Perhaps I'm missing something obvious.

4 REPLIES 4
didierma

There is a solution to extend the dataset for the Project OnLine Content pack, and get all customed fields you need, or localise native fields.  You need to go thru the dev place that replace CodePlex and do the extensions. This require very little knowledge, and no skill in developpement. 

I used this myself to create reports, and it works fine. 

More information there : 

http://didiermaignan.unblog.fr/?p=613

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Probably not missing anything, this has been a common complaint with the content packs, that they are not available from Desktop.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks for your answer.
I see some of the services available in PowerBI Desktop (mailchimp, quickbooks online), they show in Beta.
I hope Project Online shows there soon, the service connection is much faster and the provided dataset is already pre-processing some good information.

My alternative at this time is to have an additional dataset connecting to oData in order to complement the provided dataset with my custom fields and calculations. A bit suboptimal as the Reports can't use more than one dataset in the app.

The other alternative is to try to reproduce the provided dataset connecting to oData, probably doable but a longer path and slower refreshes.

Hi,  @Max  it's a pitty that content packs weren't available in desktop. Also, mailchimp content pack was deprecated some time ago, but there's indeed a way to export mailchimp data directly to PBI desktop. I use a Windsor.ai connector and works as expected. I previously tried some other tools like SM, which workeed great too but was more expensive. So just to let you know another option

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.