Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ANP
Frequent Visitor

Is it possible to calculate change from previous column in a matrix

I have data source like below

Month-YearTeamValue
Jul-2023A1.2
Aug-2023A1.4
Jul-2023B2.2
Aug-2023B2.1
and so on  

output I want

TeamJul-23Aug-23Diff
A1.21.40.2
B2.22.1-0.1

How I can calculate Diff, I dont have and dont need any date table so no point of mentioning time intelligence solution. How can I calculate Diff Column. I tried having index on rows like below

Month-YearTeamValueIndex
Jul-2023A1.21
Aug-2023A1.42
Jul-2023B2.21
Aug-2023B2.12
and so on   

and the measure like Diff = Table[Value] - Average(Table[Value]{Index-1}) but it gives some cyclic reference issue as index is getting repeated and team is not referenced in formula I guess. Please help

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@ANP 

it's better to have a date table to use  time intelligence solution.

if not, you can change the first column to date type

11.PNG

then create a column

Column = 
VAR _LAST=MAXX(FILTER('Table','Table'[Team]=EARLIER('Table'[Team])&&'Table'[Month-Year]=EDATE(EARLIER('Table'[Month-Year]),-1)),'Table'[Value])
RETURN IF(ISBLANK(_LAST),BLANK(),'Table'[Value]-_LAST)

12.PNG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

@ANP 

pls see this

Measure = 
VAR _count=CALCULATE(count('Table'[Column]),ALLSELECTED('Table'[Month-Year]),'Table'[Column]<0)
return if(ISBLANK(_count),"y","n")

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
ryan_mayu
Super User
Super User

will your request change in the future? currenly, the diff is between jul and aug. will the calculation of diff change in the future?

ANP
Frequent Visitor

HI, Yes this is just example.. months will keep on increasing in data table when i refresh data source on 1st of every month last month-year will be added with a value hence I will require all differences ( Aug-Jul, Sep-Aug, Nov-Oct and so forth) .. there are around 10-12 teams for this data would be added for everymonth.

@ANP 

it's better to have a date table to use  time intelligence solution.

if not, you can change the first column to date type

11.PNG

then create a column

Column = 
VAR _LAST=MAXX(FILTER('Table','Table'[Team]=EARLIER('Table'[Team])&&'Table'[Month-Year]=EDATE(EARLIER('Table'[Month-Year]),-1)),'Table'[Value])
RETURN IF(ISBLANK(_LAST),BLANK(),'Table'[Value]-_LAST)

12.PNG

ANP
Frequent Visitor

Hmm.. looks like thats the only way I had to add a date table... Many thanks Ryan.. however I have one more query if you can help.. month on month is working fine..  if I have to show a column of improvement values as 'Y' and "N" in the end..  lets say if any of the value Aug-Jul, Sep-Aug, Oct-Sep, Nov-Oct is coming as negative then final improvement column will have value N else Y.....

all the difference is negavie then shows "n", else show "Y"?

ANP
Frequent Visitor

for Y all the differences has to be positive .. if any one is negative then 'N'.. Also It should work with the months filter ( lets say I do it for Q2 then only Apr, May , June months will be shown and the calculation above should only done for these months )

@ANP 

pls see this

Measure = 
VAR _count=CALCULATE(count('Table'[Column]),ALLSELECTED('Table'[Month-Year]),'Table'[Column]<0)
return if(ISBLANK(_count),"y","n")

ANP
Frequent Visitor

wow.. that was simple.. Thanks Ryan..🙏 .. ..  I am showing the final output in 'Matrix' type chart ...by this way I was able to show mom improvement (the improvement measure you created I added as value in matrix chart hence showing for each month as that is the column) but cluless how can I show 'Always improving' as separate column in 'matrix' chart or do you suggest any other chart type( last column in below image ).. lets say there are three months I selected in filter, in that if all the month improvements are Y then Y else  N .. sorry if I am being too demanding ..

ANP_3-1701696531686.png

sry ,i don't know how to display like this. it's a matrx + table. Maybe let's see if anyone else can help you on this.

ANP
Frequent Visitor

np.. Ryan thanks a lot for your help

you are welcome

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.