Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

alvaroiramirez

How to create subtotals for hierarchical data?

Hi,

I am new to Power BI and I am having trouble creating a report based on data extracted from Azure DevOps. This is the way data is structured:

Table.jpg

[1]: /answers/storage/temp/250218-table.jpg

I need to get totals by:

- User Story
- Bug
- All User stories per feature
- All bugs per feature
- Feature (all its user stories & bugs per feature combined)
- Epic (all its features combined)
- Everything (all epics)

I tried using Power Query Editor / Group By (ribbon button) but Parent ID is not listed. Another option I thought were developing a program in Python to calculate these subtotals and update the table, but it will be more work each time the data is updated.

How can I get the values I need?

Many thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you, Ashish. Unfortunately I could not find the answer in your websites. What I did was to link the same data source 4 times and rename them as Task, Story, Feature and Epic. Then, I linked those tables using work item id -> parent work item id. That created an inner join that now lets me summarize the tasks at any level (stories, features and epics). Hopefully this works for other folks.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Show the exact result that you are expecting.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Thank you, Ashish. Unfortunately I could not find the answer in your websites. What I did was to link the same data source 4 times and rename them as Task, Story, Feature and Epic. Then, I linked those tables using work item id -> parent work item id. That created an inner join that now lets me summarize the tasks at any level (stories, features and epics). Hopefully this works for other folks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.