Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

JDBOS
Helper III
Helper III

How to add a multiplication to an existing Calculate formula

We are a social services organization and need to report demographic information on a quarterly basis.

The following formula is working determine the total number of "Survivors of Domestic Violence" for a filtered period,

but we now need to report on only a percentage of the total supported (Sum of the 'Case Record'[Survivors of DV]).

Here's how it's currently displayed

JDBOS_0-1620390348376.png

using:  

JDBOS_1-1620390437352.png   a numeric calculated column

defined as:

JDBOS_2-1620390531671.png

Based on the following DAX formula:

Survivors of DV =

COALESCE(CALCULATE(

COUNTROWS('Case Record'),

CONTAINSSTRING('Case Record'[Related_Inquiry__r.Type_s_of_Victimization__c],"Domestic and/or family violence")

),0)

"Case Records" are linked to a "Related Inquiry" that have a "Type of Victimization" field that could have a value of "Domestice and/or family violence"

We've tried adding the multiplication in various places of the formula but the result doesn't change (but PBI does allow the formula's syntax)

Here's an example:

=

COALESCE(CALCULATE(

CONTAINSSTRING('Case Record'[Related_Inquiry__r.Type_s_of_Victimization__c],"Domestic and/or family violence")

),0)* (FundingPercent[FundingPercent Value]/100)

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!   And I can scrub data and build a test PBIX but am hoping this is an easy fix 😁

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@JDBOS , I think I have given you the measure you can use. Just make sure table name is correct for clientType

sumx( values('Case Record [clientType]) ,

COALESCE(CALCULATE(

),0)* (FundingPercent[FundingPercent Value]/100))

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@JDBOS , Is grand total wrong is row value wrong ?

Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

One approach

sumx( values('Case Record [clientType])

COALESCE(CALCULATE(

@amitchandak I'll work on a sample PBIX with sensitive info removed

And, to test SUMX, where would it be placed in the sequence of existing nested functions? (within or before the Calculate?)

@JDBOS , I think I have given you the measure you can use. Just make sure table name is correct for clientType

sumx( values('Case Record [clientType]) ,

COALESCE(CALCULATE(

@amitchandak this almost makes sense - although I've never used Sumx(values...

So , {sumx( values('Case Record [clientType]) ,} is added before the existing formula

COALESCE(CALCULATE(

But for ('Case Record [clientType]) - does it matter what type of field I use for "clientType"?    In the existing formula, we're using a field from a related table...

I really appreciate your coaching on this!! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.