Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JDBOS
Helper III
Helper III

How to add a multiplication to an existing Calculate formula

We are a social services organization and need to report demographic information on a quarterly basis.

The following formula is working determine the total number of "Survivors of Domestic Violence" for a filtered period,

but we now need to report on only a percentage of the total supported (Sum of the 'Case Record'[Survivors of DV]).

Here's how it's currently displayed

JDBOS_0-1620390348376.png

using:  

JDBOS_1-1620390437352.png   a numeric calculated column

defined as:

JDBOS_2-1620390531671.png

Based on the following DAX formula:

Survivors of DV =

COALESCE(CALCULATE(

COUNTROWS('Case Record'),

CONTAINSSTRING('Case Record'[Related_Inquiry__r.Type_s_of_Victimization__c],"Domestic and/or family violence")

),0)

"Case Records" are linked to a "Related Inquiry" that have a "Type of Victimization" field that could have a value of "Domestice and/or family violence"

We've tried adding the multiplication in various places of the formula but the result doesn't change (but PBI does allow the formula's syntax)

Here's an example:

=

COALESCE(CALCULATE(

CONTAINSSTRING('Case Record'[Related_Inquiry__r.Type_s_of_Victimization__c],"Domestic and/or family violence")

),0)* (FundingPercent[FundingPercent Value]/100)

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!   And I can scrub data and build a test PBIX but am hoping this is an easy fix 😁

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@JDBOS , I think I have given you the measure you can use. Just make sure table name is correct for clientType

sumx( values('Case Record [clientType]) ,

COALESCE(CALCULATE(

),0)* (FundingPercent[FundingPercent Value]/100))

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@JDBOS , Is grand total wrong is row value wrong ?

Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

One approach

sumx( values('Case Record [clientType])

COALESCE(CALCULATE(

@amitchandak I'll work on a sample PBIX with sensitive info removed

And, to test SUMX, where would it be placed in the sequence of existing nested functions? (within or before the Calculate?)

@JDBOS , I think I have given you the measure you can use. Just make sure table name is correct for clientType

sumx( values('Case Record [clientType]) ,

COALESCE(CALCULATE(

@amitchandak this almost makes sense - although I've never used Sumx(values...

So , {sumx( values('Case Record [clientType]) ,} is added before the existing formula

COALESCE(CALCULATE(

But for ('Case Record [clientType]) - does it matter what type of field I use for "clientType"?    In the existing formula, we're using a field from a related table...

I really appreciate your coaching on this!! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.