Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

matdub40
Helper II
Helper II

How do I modify the Analysis Services data source in a Power BI file?

I have a Power BI file that was connected to an Analysis Services database whose server has changed.

When I open this file, it asks me to log in with my e-mail address, but I can't because I no longer have access to this old server. So I close it, and when I go to Data Source Settings, I see the name of my new Analysis Services server (in green), but I can't select it for the file to connect to it...

matdub40_0-1698063310822.png

What can I do?
Thanks for your help,

12 REPLIES 12
Brunner_BI
Super User
Super User

First open Power BI Desktop

Then in Power BI - open your Power BI file -> click on edit when it throws the connection error

Now you should be able to change the data source - this at least worked for Power BI Datasets for me

I opened an empty Power BI file, then I did File, Open and selected my Power BI file and as soon as I select it I get the connection window with the old Analysis Services server...

Am I doing something wrong?

Yeah but there is no "edit" button? maybe you can send some screenshots

No, I'm coming straight here:

matdub40_0-1698065338354.png

if you go to annuler can you get to the data source settings of this file somehow?

No, when I go to Data source settings I see several sources, including the old one, but I can't reconnect to the server and I see the new one (first screen). I'd just have to change this server name to the new one and it would work, but I can't access the data source until I'm connected to it...

You know that you need to go to the permission for that file and not the "global ones" like on your screenshot

No way if this section is empty? Thanks for your help,

Sorry, I have no idea to be honest... it seems to be different if I create a live connection to a Power BI dataset

When I go to "data sources in active file" it's empty, since I cancelled the previous connection, nothing is loaded:

matdub40_0-1698066265333.png

Brunner_BI
Super User
Super User

you can try to cancel the authentication request and at the same time get to the data source settings and fix it - i think this has worked for me in the past

As soon as I open the file, I get the connection window, and if I cancel it directly, I get the message "Unable to open the document - we encountered an error trying to connect". What did you want to do?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.