Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help sorting numbers that also have A, B, C attached

I have a table that lists numbers, but some numbers can have A, B, C values. For example:

2A

2B

4A

4B

8A

8B

8C

I want them to sort as above, but it's a text field because it has letters mixed in. Is there any workaround? This is how it sorts as text:

2A

2B

4A

4B

8A

8B

8C

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous  best thing to do is add an index to it and then sort by that index.  import the data in in the order you want it in, add an index column in power query, and then in the visual pane under modelling, use the sort by column and sort by that index, this will allow you to sort by the index column which will be numerical.

hope that makes sense.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Anonymous 

You could add an Index and then use Sort by column function in Power BI Desktop

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-sort-by-column

For add index step, you could refer to this simple way:

duplicate the column and split the duplicate column in power query, then change the numerical part to numeric.

now sort by it. 

4.JPG

here is M code for you refer to:

let

Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlSK1YlWMnKEUE5gyhhMmkDETCBipmDSDEyag0kLiLwFRN7CGUxZgklDA6XYWAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),

#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}}),

#"Duplicated Column" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Changed Type", "Column1", "Column1 - Copy"),

#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Duplicated Column",{"Column1 - Copy"}),

#"Duplicated Column1" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Column1", "Column1 - Copy"),

#"Split Column by Character Transition" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Duplicated Column1", "Column1 - Copy", Splitter.SplitTextByCharacterTransition({"0".."9"}, (c) => not List.Contains({"0".."9"}, c)), {"Column1 - Copy.1", "Column1 - Copy.2"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Character Transition",{{"Column1 - Copy.1", Int64.Type}})

in

#"Changed Type1"

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Anonymous 

You could add an Index and then use Sort by column function in Power BI Desktop

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-sort-by-column

For add index step, you could refer to this simple way:

duplicate the column and split the duplicate column in power query, then change the numerical part to numeric.

now sort by it. 

4.JPG

here is M code for you refer to:

let

Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlSK1YlWMnKEUE5gyhhMmkDETCBipmDSDEyag0kLiLwFRN7CGUxZgklDA6XYWAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),

#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}}),

#"Duplicated Column" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Changed Type", "Column1", "Column1 - Copy"),

#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Duplicated Column",{"Column1 - Copy"}),

#"Duplicated Column1" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Column1", "Column1 - Copy"),

#"Split Column by Character Transition" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Duplicated Column1", "Column1 - Copy", Splitter.SplitTextByCharacterTransition({"0".."9"}, (c) => not List.Contains({"0".."9"}, c)), {"Column1 - Copy.1", "Column1 - Copy.2"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Character Transition",{{"Column1 - Copy.1", Int64.Type}})

in

#"Changed Type1"

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous  best thing to do is add an index to it and then sort by that index.  import the data in in the order you want it in, add an index column in power query, and then in the visual pane under modelling, use the sort by column and sort by that index, this will allow you to sort by the index column which will be numerical.

hope that makes sense.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.