Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Melodyv
Frequent Visitor

Group by multiple columns - no need to sum

Here is what I'm working with.  The FNPI and MIS ID are the same in two rows (MIS ID being the client ID and FNPI being the outcome the client worked toward).  This client achieved the outcome, so I need to get this to where it shows a single row with a "1" in the Served column and a "1" in the Achieved column.

Melodyv_0-1681332356558.png

I believe what I need to do is to group by two columns, MIS ID and then FNPI.  I need both because a client may be working toward more than one outcome, (ie one MIS ID may be tied to multiple FNPIs).  Then I need to fill up/down in the Achieved Column so that rows with the same MIS ID and FNPI have the same value.  Then I can just remove duplicate rows.  The problem is I can't figure out how to set up the group by.  All the examples I have come across involve summing or aggregating numbers in some way.  I don't need anything to sum - I just need it to show the client was served and the outcome was achieved.  I am fairly new to PowerBI, and am better at working in Power Query than DAX.  Any help is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I think you need to do something simular to this Create Row Number for Each Group in Power BI using Power Query - RADACAD

The key point here is that when you use table.filldown, you need to refer to the column that contains your new subtables not to the last step in the query, this will apply the function to the subtables. Next you can expand the subtables and remove any excess columns. 

I think this should produce the results you're after.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ovde
Resolver I
Resolver I

You could create a third column using power query or dax that adds [Served] and [Achieved], then in the group by you can use MAX to keep the highest value for this new column for each [FNPI] and [MIS ID]. 

This new column would represent a status with 1 = "Served" and 2 = "Served and Achieved". If you want to only keep "Served and Achieved" you don't even need group by and could just use a filter and distinct to achieve your desired outcome.

Hope this helps!

Melodyv
Frequent Visitor

I am needing to keep all client results, not just those that were served and achieved, so I don't think a filter would work.  I've tried sorting by multiple columns (FNPI, MIS ID, and Achieved) and then using Fill Down, but I get incorrect results.  It fills all the way down without regard to the FNPI or MIS ID columns.  That's why I'm thinking I need to group them somehow, but I can't seem to get it figured out.

I think you need to do something simular to this Create Row Number for Each Group in Power BI using Power Query - RADACAD

The key point here is that when you use table.filldown, you need to refer to the column that contains your new subtables not to the last step in the query, this will apply the function to the subtables. Next you can expand the subtables and remove any excess columns. 

I think this should produce the results you're after.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.