Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AlessandroBet
Resolver I
Resolver I

Getting data from folder

Hi,

I'm new of this forum

I need to read from a folder all the data of many xls files

It works but i should removing some rows and column before to combine the files because all the xls file have the same format.

Then i need to use only the headers of only 1 file 

Can you help me?

Alessandro

10 REPLIES 10
Cmcmahan
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @AlessandroBet. If you're new, I would take a look at the information here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-query-overview

What you want to do is do edit your queries.  Once you're in that screen, remove any rows or columns you don't want.  Once you have the data in all 3 tables with the same columns (same name, though order can change) click the Append Queries button and append them together as a new table.

Thanks for your fast replay but is not my case. I need to remove the first 7 rows in each files and the number of total rows in each file could be different 

@AlessandroBet 

you can do that in query editor, click on remove top rows, it will ask you how many lines, just give the number based on your requirement, in your case its 7

also for header, after combining the files, you can filter the first file header in query editor

Yes i did but it removes only the first rows of the fisrt file. I would like removing the first of all the files

@AlessandroBet 

filter it out from the header, if the first of all the files are blank, filter it out (uncheck those lines which you don't need)

that should resolve 

the first rows are not blank.

In the first files i should removing the fisrt 7 otherwise for the rest of files the fisrt 8. In the first file are 7 because i need the headers. Here below 2 pictures where you can see the rows to remove in 2 different file

Cattura.PNGCattura1.PNG

@AlessandroBet 

For the first file, use Remove Rows from the modelling

and for the second file, use filter option

Thanks now it works....but i have to assign the right heather and it is on the first file at the 7th row and to do that I remove the first 6.

How can assign the 7th row as header?

@AlessandroBet 

As a work around, you can just type those headers(from the 7th row) into your the table header and again filter out the 7th row

that should resolve your issue.

please mark as solution for this post, if it resolves your issue, that will help others to see the solution

Sorry but i dont understand how to type those headers (from the 7th row) into your the table header

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.