Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jamesrcleveland
Frequent Visitor

Find difference between two values in filtered matrixes

I have user defined filters on two differnt matrixes that I need to create a measure that I can show the difference between values in the two tables. Example matrix one filtered for 2019 total sales by department and region Matrix 2 2020 total sales by department and region. 

5 REPLIES 5
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@jamesrcleveland , In case they are from the same table you can  measure like this using date table and time intelligence

YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD('Date'[Date],"12/31"))
Last YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year),"12/31"))
This year Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(ENDOFYEAR('Date'[Date]),"12/31"))
Last year Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(ENDOFYEAR(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year)),"12/31"))
Last to last YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-2,Year),"12/31"))
Year behind Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year))
//Only year vs Year, not a level below

This Year = CALCULATE(sum('order'[Qty]),filter(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Year]=max('Date'[Year])))
Last Year = CALCULATE(sum('order'[Qty]),filter(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Year]=max('Date'[Year])-1))
rolling = CALCULATE(sum('order'[Qty]),filter(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Year]>=max('Date'[Year])-2 && 'Date'[Year]<=max('Date'[Year])) )

diff = [This Year]-[Last Year ]
diff % = divide([This Year]-[Last Year ],[Last Year ])

To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s. Refer :radacad sqlbi My Video Series Appreciate your Kudos.

Not exactly the data is from the same tables but the values come from tow different Matrix which can each be filterd by differnt values

Hi @jamesrcleveland ,

It is very difficult to analyze without looking at the data and just by imagining. See if you can share the dummy pbix via cloud service like onedrive for business?

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-provide-sample-data-in-the-Power-BI-Forum/ba-... 

Please remove any sensitive data before uploading.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

camargos88
Community Champion
Community Champion

@jamesrcleveland ,

This is not clear what you need. Can you please give an example with dummy data ?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

I hope this helps. I have three user defined matrixs using the same data but with diffetnt filters. I need a way to create a measure for the variances between the selection ie. variance betwen table 1 and 2 amount paid or variance between 2 and 3 amount paid etc

example.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.