Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

maddypena07
Frequent Visitor

Filter visual by a total aggregated value

Hello, I search other topics and I can't seem to find a solution. 

I have a simple table, is a view and all metrics are already there. With those metrics I created three aggregated measures and created three visuals that are filtered by slicers. 

Everything works fine so far. One of the tables shows the availability% by machine by shift. With certain values in the slicers, the other visuals show only three machines, whereas the availability% table shows two more with availability% = 0 (this is expected due to the structure of the view)

maddypena07_1-1689890786512.png

The thing is, when I want to filter the Availability% table to show only the result aggregated value different from zero, the filter of the visual doesn't work. I pretty new to powerbi and what I imagine powerBI is doing is filtering values at row level and not the aggregated result.

maddypena07_2-1689890856645.png

This is what I wanted to achieve:

maddypena07_3-1689890905639.png

Is this the expected behavior? If so, how can I filter by the aggregated value? 

Edit: I cannot attached a file, but here's the direct link to it

https://drive.google.com/file/d/151_BNSKfKGdYOyfqlWw7Z41WXuyHeVsH/view?usp=drive_link

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

what I imagine powerBI is doing is filtering values at row level and not the aggregated result.

Mostly Correct.  You usually need to create another filter measure that returns 0 or 1 (for example) based on aggregate calculations ( usually done via REMOVEFILTERS ) on each detail row.

In your case however the "False"  branch of the IF statement returned 0.  When you remove that you get the desired result.  

Availability% = IF(SUM('Sheet 15_Full Data'[Available_Prod_Dur_Machine ( uptime+downtime)]) <> 0, Divide(SUM('Sheet 15_Full Data'[Prod_Dur_Machine]),SUM('Sheet 15_Full Data'[Available_Prod_Dur_Machine ( uptime+downtime)]),0)) 

Also note that the use of DIVIDE  is preferred over "/" as it allows you to gracefully handle bad divisions.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

what I imagine powerBI is doing is filtering values at row level and not the aggregated result.

Mostly Correct.  You usually need to create another filter measure that returns 0 or 1 (for example) based on aggregate calculations ( usually done via REMOVEFILTERS ) on each detail row.

In your case however the "False"  branch of the IF statement returned 0.  When you remove that you get the desired result.  

Availability% = IF(SUM('Sheet 15_Full Data'[Available_Prod_Dur_Machine ( uptime+downtime)]) <> 0, Divide(SUM('Sheet 15_Full Data'[Prod_Dur_Machine]),SUM('Sheet 15_Full Data'[Available_Prod_Dur_Machine ( uptime+downtime)]),0)) 

Also note that the use of DIVIDE  is preferred over "/" as it allows you to gracefully handle bad divisions.

I see my error now!
Thanks a lot for your time and recommendations! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.