Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamic selection of X and Y axis on a scatter chart

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to create a scatter chart that will allow dynamic selection of the X and Y axis as a slicer. At any one point a comparison can be made between two columns.

My dataset is like the following:

ProjectHSEOPS LEGALTECH
Project 11223
Project 21122
Project 33212
Project 42331
Project 51212

I have duplicated two seperate tables (one for X axis and one for Y axis) and unpivoted the columns, I've named these tables "X Axis" and Y Axis". The relationship is setup like below:

Capture.PNG

The slicer filter is working fine and data is represented correctly in a table.

The problem is I'm getting an error on the scatter chart when I drag the field "Y Axis" over to the Y Axis box on the scatter chart and set to "Don't Summarize" as I do not want to perform any summarization.

Capture2.PNG

Ideally, what I should see is the following:

Capture3.PNG

If there is any other way to perform this, please let me know.

Thankyou!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've solved my own question..

I'm not sure why, but if I drag "PROJECT" to details and set the Y and X axis properties to SUM it displays correctly.

Capture4.PNG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , refer if this can help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jeSIRpjv0M

Actually, on the Scatter chart, we take measure/column on-axis. See if this measure slicer approach can help. You need to have two of them

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Slicer-MTD-QTD-YTD-to-filter-dates-using-the-slicer/td-p/500115

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @amitchandak ,

Firstly, I'm already unpivoting the columns as shown in the video from your first link.

I don't quite understand what you mean by "scatter chart we take measure/column on-axis". I've tried plotting on a scatter chart with original table (before duplicating/unpivoting) and it works even without summarising the values on x and y axis, as shown in my last screenshot.

In my example, I can not take an aggregate of the columns because I want to plot each individual attribute point on the chart. Essentially each point on the chart will be a "project" and both the X and Y axis will have a value range from 1 to 3.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've solved my own question..

I'm not sure why, but if I drag "PROJECT" to details and set the Y and X axis properties to SUM it displays correctly.

Capture4.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.