Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cassidy
Power Participant
Power Participant

Filter out incomplete hours

Hello,

I need a way to report on only sales orders that are from a complete hour.  

Example:

I refresh Power BI at 1 p.m. and it brings over sales records with a Max order time of 12:15 p.m.  Since 12-1 p.m. is only partially reporting, I don't want to report it at all.  I need to filter the records to be <12:00 p.m., the last complete hour.  It might not always be the Current Time - 1 hour, so looking for a solution that doesn't rely on the current time.

Each row as a Date/Time stamp down to the second.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@cassidy let's try again,  add the following measure and then add it in the visual and see what you get

if you don't see the result, create separate measure and return __maxStartDate and __maxStartEnd and put in table visual to see if we get the correct start and end range

Measure = 
VAR __maxDateTime = CALUCLATE ( MAX ( Table[OrderDate] ), ALL ( Table ) )
VAR __maxDate = DATE ( YEAR ( __maxDateTime), MONTH ( __maxDateTime), DAY ( __maxDateTime) )
VAR __maxDateEnd = __maxDate + TIME ( HOUR ( __maxDateTime ), 0 , 0 )
VAR __maxDateStart = __maxDate + TIME ( HOUR ( __maxDateTime ) - 1, 0, 0 )
RETURN
CACLULATE ( COUNTROWS ( Table ), Table[OrderDate] >= __maxDateStart, Table[OrderDate] < __maxDateEnd )

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@cassidy add a column as a flag and then filter on it

Filter Orders= 
VAR __datetime = TODAY() + TIME ( HOUR ( NOW() ),0,0)
RETURN
IF ( Table[Order DateTime] < __dateTime, 1, 0 )

now you can set filter where Filter Order column is equal to 1

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Hi, thanks for the response. 

I believe this is saying "If the Order DateTime is < the Current Hour, let it through".  Unfornuatley the delay between our Sales database and PowerBI is too unpredictable for that.

Here is an example using that Calculated field:

As of 2:30 PM, the MAX OrderDateTime I have is 01:08:59 PM.  The hour of 1 PM to 2 PM is incomplete, so I do not want it to be counted.  I think with that formula, because the OrderDateTime was in the < Current Hour, it shows up as "1".

cassidy_1-1593640429882.png

@cassidy can you add a column with the following expression and put it in the table visual, want to check what value you get, maybe we need to tweak this.

Filter Time = 
TODAY() + TIME ( HOUR ( NOW() ),0,0)

It shows as 4 PM, but as you can see by new MAX OrderDateTime is 2:12:04 PM, so I only want to select orders with a OrderDateTime between 01:00:00 PM and 01:59:59 PM

cassidy_0-1593645012189.png

@cassidy let's try again,  add the following measure and then add it in the visual and see what you get

if you don't see the result, create separate measure and return __maxStartDate and __maxStartEnd and put in table visual to see if we get the correct start and end range

Measure = 
VAR __maxDateTime = CALUCLATE ( MAX ( Table[OrderDate] ), ALL ( Table ) )
VAR __maxDate = DATE ( YEAR ( __maxDateTime), MONTH ( __maxDateTime), DAY ( __maxDateTime) )
VAR __maxDateEnd = __maxDate + TIME ( HOUR ( __maxDateTime ), 0 , 0 )
VAR __maxDateStart = __maxDate + TIME ( HOUR ( __maxDateTime ) - 1, 0, 0 )
RETURN
CACLULATE ( COUNTROWS ( Table ), Table[OrderDate] >= __maxDateStart, Table[OrderDate] < __maxDateEnd )

This works, thank you!

I'm going to try and replicate it on the query editor side too  (prefer it there).  But I get the concept now.  Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.