Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

udian
Helper III
Helper III

Dynamic Display Last 12 Months in Visual According to Month Slicer

Hi All,

In my report i have a month slicer that slices some of the visuals in the report. There are ohter column visuals that display measures values per month for different months (X axis) .

I want my column charts to display data only for the last 12 months prior to the month chosen in the month slicer.

Any ideas how to achive this?

Thank!

4 REPLIES 4
Zunair
Advocate II
Advocate II

Assuming you have a calendar datetable

* Make a column to count days in m query where [Date] is your calendar date.

* Days Filter=Number.From(DateTime.Date([Date]) - DateTime.Date(DateTime.LocalNow()))

On report page

* Filter visual by "Days Filter" with less 1 and greater than -356. Note that you can add same field multiple times.

* Then filter by top 12 months... done 😉

EDIT:
Here is a better one

* Make a column to count months where [Date] is your calendar date.

* Months Filter=(Int32.From(Date.Year(DateTime.Date([Date])) - Date.Year(DateTime.Date(DateTime.LocalNow()))) * 12) +
(Int32.From(Date.Month(DateTime.Date([Date])) - Date.Month(DateTime.Date(DateTime.LocalNow()))))

On report page

* Filter visual by "Months Filter" column greater than -12

udian
Helper III
Helper III

Anyone?

Hi udian,

Currently I don’t think this could be done.

In order to have the column visual to dynamic display last 12 months value, we need the Axis to be set with the time range between the month selected and the month that is 12 month earlier. Based on the current version of Power BI Desktop, this is not allowed. The Axis well of the Column Chart Visual should be one of the column that exists in the dataset, or a measure. And a measure, based on what I know, can’t hold a time range.

The Filters under Column Chart only supports fixed parameters, if we would like to display last year sales, we could take a try to set a special filter under month:

5.PNG

By the way, if you would like to analyze the previous data, we could write measure to calculate that data  12 month ago based on the selected date, using the following formula:

sales_12Mbefore = calculate(

sum('Salestable'[Sales]),

PARALLELPERIOD('Salestable'[Date],-12,MONTH)

)

Adding this under the value well and the proper date in Axis well, should be able to display sales 12 month ago.

Hope this is helpful.

Edited:

Please check and see if the reply from matemusic in the following thread would help:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Show-last-13-months-based-on-user-single-slicer-selection/m-...

Regards

Make a column to count days in m query where [Date] is your calendar date.
Days Filter=Number.From(DateTime.Date([Date]) - DateTime.Date(DateTime.LocalNow()))

On report page, filter visual by "Days Filter" with less 1 and greater than -356. Note that you can add same field multiple times.

Then filter by top 12 months... done 😉

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.