Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

IliaS
Regular Visitor

DAX to calculate Value share

Hi! 

I am trying to calculate market share, but struggling with doing it correctly.

I have a matrix where I have Category, Name as rows, Channel as column, and Market Share as value.

Also In my dataset I have columns ABS_COMPANY (with sales inputted there if company = "A", so there are some blank ones), and ABS_TOTAL (with sales inputted in each row)

so my measure Market Share:

Market Share = SUM(table[ABS_COMPANY]) / SUM(table[ABS_TOTAL])

This correctly calculates values for each Category, but when I open the drop-down to see Name, Market Share of each Name equals to 100%. What is the problem and how to fix it?

e.g. What is now:

Market Share

Pens                  43%
     pen 1           100%

pen 2           100%

pen 3           100%

Pencils               29%

penc 1          100%

penc 2          100%

penc 3          100%

expected to calculate market share for each name, not only for categories correctly.

2 REPLIES 2
kamberbi
Frequent Visitor

It's difficult to help you without more information.

Could you provide more information on the data model?

If you want to help yourself I would try to see, what the value is for each SUM part of the division and then see if both columns gives a wierd number.

Sum of ABS_Company := SUM(table[ABS_COMPANY])
Sum of ABS_Total := SUM(table[ABS_TOTAL])

My hypothesis would be that Name does not have a proper relationshop in the data model.

Hi! Unfortunately I cannot share data as it is sensitive and generation sample one will take a lot of time. What do you mean by "name does not have a proper relationship in the data model"? I have the single table with all the data I describe, what relationship should I have? I've tried to build hierarchy on Fields pane, but this does not help

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.