Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

IliaS
Regular Visitor

DAX to calculate Value share

Hi! 

I am trying to calculate market share, but struggling with doing it correctly.

I have a matrix where I have Category, Name as rows, Channel as column, and Market Share as value.

Also In my dataset I have columns ABS_COMPANY (with sales inputted there if company = "A", so there are some blank ones), and ABS_TOTAL (with sales inputted in each row)

so my measure Market Share:

Market Share = SUM(table[ABS_COMPANY]) / SUM(table[ABS_TOTAL])

This correctly calculates values for each Category, but when I open the drop-down to see Name, Market Share of each Name equals to 100%. What is the problem and how to fix it?

e.g. What is now:

Market Share

Pens                  43%
     pen 1           100%

pen 2           100%

pen 3           100%

Pencils               29%

penc 1          100%

penc 2          100%

penc 3          100%

expected to calculate market share for each name, not only for categories correctly.

2 REPLIES 2
kamberbi
Frequent Visitor

It's difficult to help you without more information.

Could you provide more information on the data model?

If you want to help yourself I would try to see, what the value is for each SUM part of the division and then see if both columns gives a wierd number.

Sum of ABS_Company := SUM(table[ABS_COMPANY])
Sum of ABS_Total := SUM(table[ABS_TOTAL])

My hypothesis would be that Name does not have a proper relationshop in the data model.

Hi! Unfortunately I cannot share data as it is sensitive and generation sample one will take a lot of time. What do you mean by "name does not have a proper relationship in the data model"? I have the single table with all the data I describe, what relationship should I have? I've tried to build hierarchy on Fields pane, but this does not help

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors