Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

DAX formula calculating consecutive days

Hello,

I need help creating a measure to calculate consecutive days.

The objective is to identify the FIRST date(s) at which a student has NOT attended school for 5 or more consecutive calendar days. There are two tables which are linked (Enrollment and Attendance). The ‘consecutive non-attended days’ measure should be based off of (1) the absent date, and (2) the later of the student’s enrollment date and latest attended date (prior to the absent date in question).

The first two tables represent an example of the raw data.

The third table includes what I need the desired measure to be.

The fourth table is the desired end-result.

EnrollmentTable 
StudentNameEnrollment Date
Jane Doe8/30/2019

Attendance Table  
StudentNameDateAttendanceValue
Jane Doe9/2/2019Absent
Jane Doe9/3/2019Attended
Jane Doe9/4/2019Absent
Jane Doe9/5/2019Attended
Jane Doe9/6/2019Absent
Jane Doe9/9/2019Absent
Jane Doe9/10/2019Absent
Jane Doe9/11/2019Absent
Jane Doe9/12/2019Absent
Jane Doe9/15/2019Absent
Jane Doe9/16/2019Attended
Jane Doe9/17/2019Absent
Jane Doe9/24/2019Absent

Calculated Consecutive Non-Attended Days 
StudentNameDateAttendanceValueConsecutive Non-Attended Days
Jane Doe9/2/2019Absent3
Jane Doe9/3/2019Attendednull
Jane Doe9/4/2019Absent1
Jane Doe9/5/2019Attendednull
Jane Doe9/6/2019Absent1
Jane Doe9/9/2019Absent4
Jane Doe9/10/2019Absent5
Jane Doe9/11/2019Absent6
Jane Doe9/12/2019Absent7
Jane Doe9/15/2019Absent10
Jane Doe9/16/2019Attendednull
Jane Doe9/17/2019Absent1
Jane Doe9/24/2019Absent8

Desired End Result   
StudentNameDateAttendanceValueConsecutive Non-Attended Days
Jane Doe9/10/2019Absent5
Jane Doe9/24/2019Absent8

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

You can use this measure:

Measure = var a = CALCULATE(MAX('Attendance Table'[Date]),FILTER(ALL('Attendance Table'),[AttendanceValue]="Attended"&&[Date]<MAX('Attendance Table'[Date])))
Return
IF(MAX('Attendance Table'[AttendanceValue])="Attended","null",IF(ISBLANK(a)&&MAX('Attendance Table'[AttendanceValue])="Absent",DATEDIFF(DATE(2019,8,30),MAX('Attendance Table'[Date]),DAY),DATEDIFF(a,MAX('Attendance Table'[Date]),DAY)))

0003.PNG

Pbiz attached,

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

You can use this measure:

Measure = var a = CALCULATE(MAX('Attendance Table'[Date]),FILTER(ALL('Attendance Table'),[AttendanceValue]="Attended"&&[Date]<MAX('Attendance Table'[Date])))
Return
IF(MAX('Attendance Table'[AttendanceValue])="Attended","null",IF(ISBLANK(a)&&MAX('Attendance Table'[AttendanceValue])="Absent",DATEDIFF(DATE(2019,8,30),MAX('Attendance Table'[Date]),DAY),DATEDIFF(a,MAX('Attendance Table'[Date]),DAY)))

0003.PNG

Pbiz attached,

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Dina Ye,

Thank you very much for the measure! It works beautifully in the test table. However, when I applied it to the full database attendance table, the measure did not produce the desired result. I believe the issue is that my full table contains lots of different students. For a given student, the measure appears to be factoring in the attendance values of all the other students in the table. When I hardcode a specific/unique studentid (e.g. studentid = "ao89e8d") into the filter on the measure, then the measure produces the correct results. However, if I create a report with a report filter for studentid="ao89e8d" (using the original measure), again, the measure appears to be referencing all the students attendance values (not just the desired student) and the measure does not produce the correct results. Typically I would be running a report to pull many different students, so it is not feasible to hardcode individual student ids into the measure. So, how do I get the measure to evaluate at the studentid level?

Thanks,

John 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is a visual to further outline the issue with the measure. There are now 3 students in the table. If we look at Jane Doe's record where the [Date] value is "Sunday, September 15, 2019", you will see she has an "Absent" value on this record. On this record, the [ConsecutiveDaysMeasure] should be looking for Jane Doe's last "Attended" value prior to 9/15/19 and then calculate the difference in days. Jane Doe's last "Attended" record, prior to 9/15/19, was 9/5/19. So, the [ConsecutiveDaysMeasure] should be calculating 10 days. Instead, it appears to be referencing the last Attended record for ANY employee. In this case, the last attended date, prior to 9/15/19 was on 9/12/19 (for student Ken Stewart), so the measure is calculating 3 days. How do I get the measure to only apply to each individual student?

AttMeasure.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here are the images, blown up a bit...AttMeasureC.pngAttMeasureB.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe I figured it out. By adding a '[StudentID]=Max([StudentID]' condition to the measure, the measure is now calculating correctly. Again, thank you very much for your help in creating the measure!

AttMeasureE.pngAttMeasureD.png

Hi I appreciate you posted this three years ago but I am now looking to achieve the same results you are - my knowledge of DAX is relatively limited but I essentially copied over your formatting but it hasn't worked for me. 

Where did you add the condition for the StudentID = MaxStudentID part?

Also when I try to run the measure it is telling me there is a syntax error due to a miscelanoues ')' somewhere but I cannot for the life of me seem to see where! Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!

Measure = var a = CALCULATE(MAX('All_attendance'[Date]),FILTER(ALL('All_attendance'),[Statistical value] = "Present" &&[UPN]=MAX('All_attendance'[UPN])&&[Date]<MAX('All_attendance'[Date])))
Return
IF(MAX('All_attendance'[Statistical value])="Present", "null", IF(ISBLANK(a)&&MAX('All_attendance'[Statistical value])="Absent", DATEDIF(DATE, (5, 9, 2022),MAX('All_attendance'[Date], DAY), DATEDIFF(a, MAX('All_attendance'[Date], DAY)))))
kentyler
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

What if you convert your absent/attended column into 1's and 0's. Then you could add for each day the previous 5 days values, and if it was 5 then you'd have the students you want.

Did this post answer your question? Mark it as a solution so others can find it!

Help when you know. Ask when you don't!