Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

pg9
Frequent Visitor

Counting column values for a matrix visual

Hi All,

For a matrix visual, I'm looking to calculate the number of rows for a particular column.

Can someone suggest a dax measure for this please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @pg9 ,

Please try:

Measure = CALCULATE(COUNT(Sheet1[EmpIID]),FILTER(ALL(Sheet1),[Attribute] in ALLSELECTED('Sheet1 (2)'[Attribute]) &&[Value] in ALLSELECTED('Sheet1 (2)'[Value])))

Final output:

vjianbolimsft_0-1688028842561.png

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pg9 ,

Sorry for that the information you have provided is not making the problem clear to me. Can you please share more details to help us clarify your scenario?

Please provide me with more details about your table and your problem or share me with your pbix file after removing sensitive data.

Refer to:

How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-jianboli-msft 

Please find the step by step below

Step 1 - I have pivoted the table and used matrix visual to view it. Below is how the table looks initially. I have used count of emplid to count the data. 

pg9_0-1687938469529.png

Step 2 - As I start choosing the selections from the field selections, the count keeps increasing. Please find the reference below

pg9_1-1687938568383.png

pg9_2-1687938607262.png

pg9_3-1687938642057.png

Requirement - I want to calculte the number of records in the emplID column alone.

Can you suggest how this can be achieved?

Please let me know if you need further input on this

Note - I have duplicate emplID records. So I'm not allowed to use distinct count.

Hi @pg9 ,

By calculating it separately do you mean making its value independent of slicer and calculating the value in the table directly? If so, you can use the ALL function, like this:

Measure = COUNTX(All('Table'[EmpID]'),[EmpID])

Refer to:

ALL function (DAX) - DAX | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

I tried that DAX and it does not filter when I apply filter conditions. Please find the image below

pg9_0-1687946785640.pngpg9_1-1687946822926.png

The requirement is for the Total count to change as and when we apply filter conditions. Can you help me with this please?

Hi @pg9 ,

Apologies for my misunderstood before. Are you trying to calculate the "Total number of EmpID" while disregarding the impact of the "Field Selection" slicer, but allowing it to be influenced by the "Criteria Selection" slicer?

If so, there are some information I need to check:

If the slicer: "Field Selection" and "Category" are using the same data?

Please provide me with more details about your table and your problem or share me with your pbix file after removing sensitive data.

Refer to:

How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

Hi @v-jianboli-msft 

No problem. Yes, you are right. I'm trying to calculate the "Total number of EmpID" while disregarding the impact of the "Field Selection" slicer, but allowing it to be influenced by the "Criteria Selection" slicer.

FYI, The 'Field selection' and the Matrix visual uses Sheet 1 table and 'Criteria selection' uses Sheet 1(2) table.

The count should be static for the 'Field selection' but should change accoring to the filters applied in the 'Criteria selection' slicer.

P:S - I'm unable to share this pbix file with you since I'm not a super user ☹️

Hi @pg9 ,

Please try:

Measure = CALCULATE(COUNT(Sheet1[EmpIID]),FILTER(ALL(Sheet1),[Attribute] in ALLSELECTED('Sheet1 (2)'[Attribute]) &&[Value] in ALLSELECTED('Sheet1 (2)'[Value])))

Final output:

vjianbolimsft_0-1688028842561.png

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.