Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

damit23183
Employee
Employee

Count not coming as expected

Hi,

I am working on to get calculate one measure using dates and compare from different tables.

For example,

TableA Is Date Table

Table B is 

Fabric Screen shot.png

Now What I am trying to achieve is,

1. Count = 5  - This is Answer I want.

As i am counting all ID where they are enrolled yet not death, and if they death then death year mut be less than current year.

I would like to apply this condition:

ID must enrolled

DeathDate must Null

DeathDate must less than Jan 1st 2024 (1st Jan of Each new year). 

In above case person who died in 2024 was in March so it will be count if that person would have died on Jan 1st 2024 then count could have been 4.

Hope this make sense. If you have a question please message me.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jialongy-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @damit23183 

According to your description, you want counting all ID where they are enrolled yet not death, But your needs: DeathDate must less than Jan 1st 2024 (1st Jan of Each new year , This criterion counts both IDs with death dates of 2/10/2023 and 10/31/2022, when in fact both of them are actually dead.

So I'm suggesting that your criteria should be changed and then you can get the results you want.

Count = 
CALCULATE(
    COUNT('Table'[EnrolmentDate]),
    FILTER(
        'Table',
        ISBLANK('Table'[DeathDate]) || 'Table'[DeathDate] > DATE(YEAR(NOW()), 1, 1)
    )
)

vjialongymsft_0-1710210897976.png

Best Regards,

Jayleny

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-jialongy-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @damit23183 

According to your description, you want counting all ID where they are enrolled yet not death, But your needs: DeathDate must less than Jan 1st 2024 (1st Jan of Each new year , This criterion counts both IDs with death dates of 2/10/2023 and 10/31/2022, when in fact both of them are actually dead.

So I'm suggesting that your criteria should be changed and then you can get the results you want.

Count = 
CALCULATE(
    COUNT('Table'[EnrolmentDate]),
    FILTER(
        'Table',
        ISBLANK('Table'[DeathDate]) || 'Table'[DeathDate] > DATE(YEAR(NOW()), 1, 1)
    )
)

vjialongymsft_0-1710210897976.png

Best Regards,

Jayleny

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you so much for your response.

Thats worked perfectly as expected, was missing DATE conversion in my formula which was causing unexpected result.

Thank you again so much.

Thanks

damit23183
Employee
Employee

Any Other idea to acheive the expected result?

Thanks

Change your criteria.  With the given criteria and the sample data provided the answer is 6.

wini_R
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @damit23183,
The expected result should be 5 or 6? Actually I can see 6 rows when Death Date is either null or less than Jan 2024

As a starting point you could use this formula:

CountDates = 
CALCULATE(
    COUNT('Table'[Enrolment]),
    FILTER(
        'Table',
        ISBLANK('Table'[Death]) || 'Table'[Death] < DATE(YEAR(NOW()), 1, 1)
    )
)

Thanks Wini for your response.

Yes I am also getting 6 with many combination I have tried. But, I want to have 5 only as an answer.

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.