Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

RossChevalier
Helper III
Helper III

Content Pack vs App

Apologies upfront for the dumb question.

I believe that PowerApps are the focus area for the future.  It looks though that one must have a PowerBI Pro license to consume an app or your organization be set up as Premium.

Content Packs look like an older way of bundling reports / dashboards and I am unclear what the licensing requirements are for viewers.   Can someone explain this to me please?

Today, I make dashboards and share those internally with users who have been allocated the PowerBI Free version.  They only need to view the dashboards, not edit them.  I am happy to license PowerBI Pro for report/dashboard creators but the majority >99% of our users just need to see the information and I understand that this only requires a PowerBI Free license.  If I have this wrong, I would appreciate getting clarity on this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

PowerApps are different than Power BI Apps.

Content Packs - Old and Busted (old way of creating what are now Apps will be retired)

Apps - The New Hotness (new way of doing things)

Per the licensing, you should not be able to share anything with anyone who does not have a Pro license unless you are running Premium or Embedded capacity.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RossChevalier ,

Organizational content packs are only available when you and your colleagues have Power BI Pro licenses.

You can refer to this:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-organizational-content-pack-introduction 

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

PowerApps are different than Power BI Apps.

Content Packs - Old and Busted (old way of creating what are now Apps will be retired)

Apps - The New Hotness (new way of doing things)

Per the licensing, you should not be able to share anything with anyone who does not have a Pro license unless you are running Premium or Embedded capacity.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks so much Greg.  I sincerely appreciate the clear answer.  I will have to find another option, as the pricing model will not fit our business needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.