Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RossChevalier
Helper III
Helper III

Content Pack vs App

Apologies upfront for the dumb question.

I believe that PowerApps are the focus area for the future.  It looks though that one must have a PowerBI Pro license to consume an app or your organization be set up as Premium.

Content Packs look like an older way of bundling reports / dashboards and I am unclear what the licensing requirements are for viewers.   Can someone explain this to me please?

Today, I make dashboards and share those internally with users who have been allocated the PowerBI Free version.  They only need to view the dashboards, not edit them.  I am happy to license PowerBI Pro for report/dashboard creators but the majority >99% of our users just need to see the information and I understand that this only requires a PowerBI Free license.  If I have this wrong, I would appreciate getting clarity on this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

PowerApps are different than Power BI Apps.

Content Packs - Old and Busted (old way of creating what are now Apps will be retired)

Apps - The New Hotness (new way of doing things)

Per the licensing, you should not be able to share anything with anyone who does not have a Pro license unless you are running Premium or Embedded capacity.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RossChevalier ,

Organizational content packs are only available when you and your colleagues have Power BI Pro licenses.

You can refer to this:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-organizational-content-pack-introduction 

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

PowerApps are different than Power BI Apps.

Content Packs - Old and Busted (old way of creating what are now Apps will be retired)

Apps - The New Hotness (new way of doing things)

Per the licensing, you should not be able to share anything with anyone who does not have a Pro license unless you are running Premium or Embedded capacity.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks so much Greg.  I sincerely appreciate the clear answer.  I will have to find another option, as the pricing model will not fit our business needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.