Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

karaoan
Kudo Commander
Kudo Commander

Composite models irreversible

I am facing issues with Composite Models in the new July:
1. Turning on composite models seems to be an irreversible switch that you can't remove which in turn means no more publishing to the service unless you have a copy of the file:
a. Added direct query tables from ASQL source to an import model. Worked initially (although the relationship behavior is getting weird unnecessary, inactive links (many m:m) are introduced. 
b. Then wanted to switch back with the "set import mode for all tables". Turned off "composite models" option in PBI. c. When I restart with my pbix with tables set back to import I am getting told this model requires "composite mode" and I can't open without that being activated. Checked all tables none of them is set on dual or direct.

Would appreciate your feedback if these are problems just on my end or general issues.

Martin

Planning & Writeback in Power BI -> Acterys

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

I've got the same problem. I can't publish any of my dashboards since this preview feature is activated, even if there's no combination of DirectQuery data connections. Do you know what can we do?

Thanks

Best Regards

Omar Sierra

View solution in original post

OSIERRAM

Hi there @karaoan, I've found a solution for this issue. Hope it works for you.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Unable-to-disable-Composite-models/idc-p/482033#M30066

Best Regards from Mexico

Omar Sierra

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
OSIERRAM

Hi there @karaoan, I've found a solution for this issue. Hope it works for you.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Unable-to-disable-Composite-models/idc-p/482033#M30066

Best Regards from Mexico

Omar Sierra

Thanks a lot @OSIERRAM removing all the m:m joins fixed it and I can now deploy again! 

Martin

Are there any other options? I have a report that requires Many:Many relationship (as all others fail and PowerBI disallows them). 

This is going to cause a huge delay if I need to rebuild this entire report another way.

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi @v-yulgu-msft

is aggregations and composite model feature released or still in preview mode?. If yes in which part of monthly release it got released?

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @karaoan,

Since composite models is still a preview feature, there existing some limitations:

It is not possible to publish composite models to the Power BI service.

Changing a table to Import is an irreversible operation, it cannot be changed back to DirectQuery, or back to Dual.

Reference: Power BI new feature: Composite models

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I've got the same problem. I can't publish any of my dashboards since this preview feature is activated, even if there's no combination of DirectQuery data connections. Do you know what can we do?

Thanks

Best Regards

Omar Sierra

Thanks @v-yulgu-msft, I am familiar with the limitations of composite models but this doesn't answer my question. My problem is changing a composite model report back to standard i.e. all the data sources are in import mode. 

Martin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.