Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

IHam
Helper III
Helper III

Multiple Slicer syncing issues

I have a report made up of multiple pages. On the first page are three slicers – Year, House and Name. I have used the Name slicer to sync to all of the other pages without any issues.

However, I have created a new page that I have synced all three slicers to. The first time that it is used, the slicers sync nicely. However, when I go back to the first page and select new values in the slicers, the year and house slicers do not update on the new page and are no longer synced.

When I make the slicers visible on the new page using the eye symbol, they show that they still have the previous sync settings and have not synced with the first page.

Is there anything that I am doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi IHam,

Your problem is that the House and Year slicers on the name page aren't actually synced with the House and Year slicers on the points page.

When you're on the name page, click on the View tab, then click on the "Sync slicers" checkbox.  This will open a pane to the left of the standard visualizations pane. 

Then click on the House slicer on the name page, and you'll see that it has a blank checkbox for the Name page (same for the Year slicer)

community-sol-266328.png

Check the box beside Name, and then it should work (do the same for the Year slicer as well)

community-sol-266328-2.png

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
ssugar
Resolver III
Resolver III

I'm not able to replicate your issue.

Here's the pbix file I made to test:

https://github.com/ssugar/PowerBICommunity/raw/master/community-sol-563464.pbix

Could you send along the data you're using to test?

Also, send along a screenshot showing the sync slicers area while you have one of the slicers selected.

Here are three pictures - the first of the front page and the second two of the page wheich isn't syncing

The first is what is passed through and then second has the slciers made visible and then selected again.

pic4.pngpic5.pngpic6.png

The code for the ranking is:

Rank in Year = rankx(all(vw_eBillbook[BillbookName],vw_eBillbook[txtHouseCode]),vw_PowerBIRandC[Points Total],,DESC,Skip)

Rank in House = rankx(all(vw_eBillbook[BillbookName]),vw_PowerBIRandC[Points Total],,DESC,Skip)

Hi @IHam,

By my tests, I cannot reproduce your issue in my site eirther. More details should be better.

I would appreciate it if you could share your dummy pbix file which can reproduce the scenario, so that we can help further investigate on it?

If your pbix file with sensitive data, you could share with private message.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Cherry, unfortunatly i just can't share the pbix file or create a dummy as there is too much sensitive data, I was wondering if it was a linkage issue. The two main tables are linked by a unique student number (the centre table has one entry per student and is linked to a many entry for the student points value) and the slicers are for Name, House and Year. 

My guess is that the problem is actually related to your ranking code.

Here are the DAX expressions you sent over:

Rank in Year = rankx(all(vw_eBillbook[BillbookName],vw_eBillbook[txtHouseCode]),vw_PowerBIRandC[Points Total],,DESC,Skip)

Rank in House = rankx(all(vw_eBillbook[BillbookName]),vw_PowerBIRandC[Points Total],,DESC,Skip)

The ALL() function returns all rows ignoring applied filters: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/all-function-dax, so I'd guess that's where the issue lies.  You may want to look at using allexcept() or allselected().

Thanks for the help, I have sent a PM with a link to the de-personalised pbix file. hope this helps!

many thanks

Hi IHam,

Your problem is that the House and Year slicers on the name page aren't actually synced with the House and Year slicers on the points page.

When you're on the name page, click on the View tab, then click on the "Sync slicers" checkbox.  This will open a pane to the left of the standard visualizations pane. 

Then click on the House slicer on the name page, and you'll see that it has a blank checkbox for the Name page (same for the Year slicer)

community-sol-266328.png

Check the box beside Name, and then it should work (do the same for the Year slicer as well)

community-sol-266328-2.png

Legend! That works. I didn't realise that the slicers had to be synced with the actual page it was on.

Thank you so much

No worries, happy to help 🙂

Many thanks for doing this - on reflection, its something to do with the ranking code that i have written which isn't being passed the slicer information from the first page (although there were some very strange things happening with the slicers!).

Its difficult to pass the pbix file through as there are data protection issues but I will try and send some screen shots and the ranking coade when i can this weekend.

Many thanks again

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.