Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

dmouser
Frequent Visitor

Comparing Cells after Splitting

I had an issue with a data set that I previously posted about.  However, I've been given additional information/direction from the owners so now I'm dealing with a different challenges.

I have a list of items I'm try to measure against, all of which are collected throughout two columns assigned and completed.  I left them as-is, and end up creating a series (about 10) columns to returns results with formulas based on the values or relationships between these columns.  I have now split one of the cells by semi-colon into new rows.  As a benefit this allows me a unique count of items.  However, it breaks a formula I had that compares the two columns.  For examples, I had:

Column A

Apple; Orange; Kiwi

Appple

Kiwi

Orange; Kiwi

Column B

Apple; Orange

Appple

{Blank}

Kiwi

Now, I have the following for just the first row:

Column A

Apple

Orange

Kiwi

Column B

Apple; Orange

Apple; Orange

Apple; Orange

How, I can I return the same if x, then true,fale results to compare the collective value of a series against the column B grouping?  If it helps, each row contains a unique ID (which has been carried down to multiple rows when I split on column A).

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi dmouser,

"How, I can I return the same if x, then true,fale results to compare the collective value of a series against the column B grouping?"

<--- Could you clarify more details about your logic to achieve this?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

I may have solved this, but identified another challenge as a result.  So I could leave my formulas unaltered, I added a step to copy the column, then split.  Not sure if this is a best practice or not, but it allowed me to keep the original column and values to base my formula from.

However, my formula was comparing values of Column A to Column B to determine if they align.  However, I noticed the sequences are not consistent, even though the values are.  So if I'm comparing this Apple; Orange; Kiwi to Kiwi; Apple; Orange they don't match even though the content align.  I do have the items in another table with their own IDs. 

Can I sum of the values in the cell if they are found? 

Fruite | ID

Apple = 1

Pear = 2

Orange = 3

Kiwi = 5

Peach = 4

Identified Fruits: Apple; Orange; Kiwi - sum of IDs = 9

Deliverd Fruits: Kiwi; Apple; Orange - sum of IDs = 9

Hi dmouser ,

"So if I'm comparing this Apple; Orange; Kiwi to Kiwi; Apple; Orange they don't match even though the content align.  I do have the items in another table with their own IDs. "

<---Could you share some sample data and results you want to achieve and explain more details about your requirement?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

I don't have a public file host, but did draft up a dummy workbook based on fruit.  Image of two tables is below.  I also uploaded a copy of the second table before manipulation to see how the sequence affects the outcome.  Youll notice on the original while all 3 fruits were deliverred, because the sequence is different the calculation thinks they don't match and are therefore late. 

fruit_example.png

fruit_example_original.png

I located the following post on the boards which - I think - gets to the same questions solution.  However, the instructions are a bit choppy and I'm having difficulty following them.  Ironically, the example uses fruit too.  Smiley Happy

Creating a total score for values in a concatenated and comma separated list

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.