Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Roseventura
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Column Totals are not Correct even when using HASONEVALUE()

I need to understand why my measures in columns 2 and 4 are not totalling correctly. 

Here is my table.

capture1.JPG

Here are the measures for each column:

COLUMN 1:

Total Credit Adjustment =

IF(MAX(PBI_FSCAPF[PADFMO]) =3 ||MAX(PBI_FSCAPF[PADFMO]) =6 || MAX(PBI_FSCAPF[PADFMO]) =9

||MAX(PBI_FSCAPF[PADFMO]) =12 ,-375000,-300000)

COLUMN 2:

Credit Adjustment Total =
    VAR CREDIT_ADJUSTMENT = [Total Credit Adjustment]
    VAR TOTAL_ADJUSTED_CREDIT = SUMMARIZE(PBI_FSCAPF,PBI_FSCAPF[YEAR-MO], "Monthly Adj", CREDIT_ADJUSTMENT )
RETURN
    IF( HASONEVALUE('PBI_FSCAPF'[YEAR-MO] ),
        CREDIT_ADJUSTMENT ,
            SUMX( TOTAL_ADJUSTED_CREDIT, [Monthly Adj] ) )

COLUMN 3:

Credit Adjusment Less Inv Credits = [Total Credit Adjustment]-[Total Inv Credits]

COLUMN 4:

Credit Adjustment Less Inv Credits Total =
    VAR CREDIT_ADJUSTMENT_INV_CREDITS = [Credit Adjusment Less Inv Credits]
    VAR TOTAL_ADJUSTED_AND_INV_CREDITS = SUMMARIZE(PBI_FSCAPF,PBI_FSCAPF[YEAR-MO], "Adjustment by Month",

CREDIT_ADJUSTMENT_INV_CREDITS )
RETURN
    IF( HASONEVALUE('PBI_FSCAPF'[YEAR-MO] ),
        CREDIT_ADJUSTMENT_INV_CREDITS ,
            SUMX( TOTAL_ADJUSTED_AND_INV_CREDITS, [Adjustment by Month] ) )

Note:  PBI_FSCAPF is my DATE table.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I discovered that the MAX function in my original TOTAL CREDIT ADJUSTMENT measure was the culprit.  Here's the original measure:

IF(MAX(PBI_FSCAPF[PADFMO]) =3 ||MAX(PBI_FSCAPF[PADFMO]) =6 || MAX(PBI_FSCAPF[PADFMO]) =9  ||

MAX(PBI_FSCAPF[PADFMO]) =12 ,-375000,-300000)

This was an issue in the total, because the MAX results is always calculating to 12 and therefore 375,000 * 3 = 1,125,000 (which was the incorrect total I was getting).  As soon as I removed MAX() it worked and I didn't have to use a HASONEVALUE branch measure.  This corrected measure gave me the results I wanted:

Total Credit Adjustment = SUMX( VALUES( PBI_FSCAPF[PADFMO] ),IF(PBI_FSCAPF[PADFMO] =3 || PBI_FSCAPF[PADFMO] = 6 || PBI_FSCAPF[PADFMO] =9 || PBI_FSCAPF[PADFMO] =12 ,-375000,-300000))

This change makes the other “branched” measure work:

Credit Adjusment Less Inv Credits = [Total Credit Adjustment]-[Total Inv Credits]

capture2

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

This looks like a measure totals problem. Very common. See my post about it here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/DAX-Commands-and-Tips/Dealing-with-Measure-Totals/td-p/63376

Also, this Quick Measure, Measure Totals, The Final Word should get you what you need:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Measure-Totals-The-Final-Word/m-p/547907

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I discovered that the MAX function in my original TOTAL CREDIT ADJUSTMENT measure was the culprit.  Here's the original measure:

IF(MAX(PBI_FSCAPF[PADFMO]) =3 ||MAX(PBI_FSCAPF[PADFMO]) =6 || MAX(PBI_FSCAPF[PADFMO]) =9  ||

MAX(PBI_FSCAPF[PADFMO]) =12 ,-375000,-300000)

This was an issue in the total, because the MAX results is always calculating to 12 and therefore 375,000 * 3 = 1,125,000 (which was the incorrect total I was getting).  As soon as I removed MAX() it worked and I didn't have to use a HASONEVALUE branch measure.  This corrected measure gave me the results I wanted:

Total Credit Adjustment = SUMX( VALUES( PBI_FSCAPF[PADFMO] ),IF(PBI_FSCAPF[PADFMO] =3 || PBI_FSCAPF[PADFMO] = 6 || PBI_FSCAPF[PADFMO] =9 || PBI_FSCAPF[PADFMO] =12 ,-375000,-300000))

This change makes the other “branched” measure work:

capture2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does you Date table go back further than 2018-10?  Totals and Subtotals are calculated without any filters and each cell is caclulated independantly.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.