Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rloski-public
Helper I
Helper I

Changing reports to all use the same Power BI dataset (my data is live connection to SSAS)

I have 20 reports that have a live connection to the same SSAS tabular model.  Each report creates its own dataset in the service. 

One of the best practices that I have heard over and over is to separate the data model from the report by first creating a dataset that doesn't have any visuals that provides the data model.  Then in Power BI desktop, you need to change the data source in the report report to point to the dataset report.  I have been through a couple video discussing the advantages of creating a Power BI dataset that I use as the data source for a report.

• Logic in one place; avoid managing logic in multiple files
  • No proliferation of tabs, which avoids logic duplication by having one model/one report with each use case adding a tab
  • No double refresh when two reports are added to the service with their own dataset

First issue:  by using a live connection to SSAS, my logic resides in one place and when I change it, it proliferates to all reports.  It doesn't matter whether I use one report with many tabs or multiple reports, the logic is still in one place.  And the data only refreshes once.

The only theoretical (see next point) benefit to having one file is removing all of the datasets.  It is a pain to have two objects with the same name in the list of Workspace objects.

Second issue:  I can't find a way to take my 20 reports and change the datasource to a Power BI dataset.  When try to change the datasource, I can change the server and database but nothing else.  I can't change the provider.  When I try to add a data source, everything is grayed out except Power BI Template Apps.

First of all, has anyone transfered their reports from a live connection to SSAS to one that has a Power BI dataset (that itself has the live connection to SSAS)?  Second, what advantages are there to separating the dataset from the report in this case.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
rloski-public
Helper I
Helper I

I think that I can do this using the Power BI Rest API (thanks to Keven Arnold for that suggestion).  Use the Power BI Rebind API to move from cached to Azure AS - YouTube walks through how to do that.

We are having trouble configuring OAuth so I haven't been able to test it.

Still unsure whether there are more benefits to doing this than reducing the number of datasets to one for each environment (which is no small thing).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
rloski-public
Helper I
Helper I

I think that I can do this using the Power BI Rest API (thanks to Keven Arnold for that suggestion).  Use the Power BI Rebind API to move from cached to Azure AS - YouTube walks through how to do that.

We are having trouble configuring OAuth so I haven't been able to test it.

Still unsure whether there are more benefits to doing this than reducing the number of datasets to one for each environment (which is no small thing).

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Sounds like you are on a rather old version of Power BI desktop where that setting (allow local data models) was still something you needed to enable in the preview settings.

When you say SSAS, do you mean an actual OLAP cube, or a Power BI dataset, or a SSAS Tabular model?

Thank you for replying to my post.  

I am using the September 2023 version of PBI desktop (2.121.903.0).  

The reports liveconnect to an on prem 2019 Standard edition SSAS tabular model server.

I don't have access to a SSAS Tabular server so won't be able to assist. I hope someone else can help you further.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.