Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

rpinxt
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Can a measure get you the name of a tab in the report?

I am making a table of contents with buttons that bring the user directly to the chosen tab/report.

Now I am keying in the name of that tab as a button text.

What I am looking for is a more variable way that if we change the name of a tab that the text in the button of the table of contents will automatically pick up the changed name.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I see.

If the pillars are constant, and it is only page names that are changing, then you can add 4 page navigators to the page and show only specific pages that belong to the 4 groups. For example, here I have hidden the Table of Contents page from showing in the page navigator:

dk_dk_0-1699631730490.png

Or similarly I created two navigators based on some grouping:

dk_dk_1-1699631900883.png

If you then rename any page, the name will update in the respective page navigator where the page is set to show.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
rpinxt
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Thanks @dk_dk I am aware of that one.

It works fine.

But for instance I name my page ABC, put text on the button "ABC".

Then next month I think noo...not ABC, must name the page BCD.

The link on the button will still be fine I am not worried about that.

But my text on the button would still be "ABC".

No big deal when you have 2 or 3 buttons but with 20-30 in a table of contents you could easily forget and in time Button texts and actual page names would not be alligned anymore.

Therefore as the Button text has an Fx option I was wondering if a dax measure could be linked to the actual name of page and thus the button text would change when I rename the page.

Hi @rpinxt 

When I add the Page Navigator to a page, it will automatically create buttons with the page title, and an action to navigate to the specific page. I do not need to manually set anything or type in a button text. The page navigator will automatically update the texts shown in it when you rename a specific page as well. You just have some generic formatting options for how the page navigator should look like.

Is there any specific reason why you are trying to add individual buttons?

rpinxt
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Correct @dk_dk but we will not use that feature as it are a lot of pages and we want to group them together in 4 different "pilars".

So it is more a custom thing navigator then the build in one.

I see.

If the pillars are constant, and it is only page names that are changing, then you can add 4 page navigators to the page and show only specific pages that belong to the 4 groups. For example, here I have hidden the Table of Contents page from showing in the page navigator:

dk_dk_0-1699631730490.png

Or similarly I created two navigators based on some grouping:

dk_dk_1-1699631900883.png

If you then rename any page, the name will update in the respective page navigator where the page is set to show.

rpinxt
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Well actually this probably also could have worked.

Did not know this about the page navigator (should have looked into it in more depth).

Is sure would solve the problem when we change the name of a page.

Thanks for being persistent 😉

I will look into this!

And sorry that I keep suggesting the navigator, I understand if it is not suitable for your custom needs, but I do not have a solution with the dynamic function. I did find this idea that is asking for a similar thing.

dk_dk
Super User
Super User

Hi @rpinxt 

I think you are looking for the Page Navigator feature. You will find it under the Buttons section:

dk_dk_0-1699617794396.png

I hope this helps!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.