Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jmaikido
Employee
Employee

Calendar sort for Line Chart display

Hi Listers,

If I have a calendar column of format such as "mmm-yyyy" and want to display my values in a line chart, how do I sort the calendar for the line chart x-axis to display Jan 2020, Feb 2020 ...... Dec 2020 and then Jan 2020 etc?

TIA John

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
edhans
Super User
Super User

You need to create another column, either in your source data or in Power Query, that would be the year * 100 + the month, so it would be 202001, 202002, 202003, etc. Then you would sort your axis column above by this column. Sort by column in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs has detailed info. My date table at https://bit.ly/DateTableByEd is built in Power Query and has several columns used exclusively for sorting other columns.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

Edhans, Thnx heaps 

worked a treat

Rgds

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
edhans
Super User
Super User

You need to create another column, either in your source data or in Power Query, that would be the year * 100 + the month, so it would be 202001, 202002, 202003, etc. Then you would sort your axis column above by this column. Sort by column in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs has detailed info. My date table at https://bit.ly/DateTableByEd is built in Power Query and has several columns used exclusively for sorting other columns.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Edhans, Thnx heaps 

worked a treat

Rgds

Great @jmaikido - I hope you don't mind. I marked my answer as the solution so others that view this thread can quickly see how to get it to work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.