Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Identify different sessions base on multiple criteria

Hello guys,

Nice to meet you all and thanks for the great job you do.

That said, I wanted to ask about a challenge I am facing which I haven't found information on how to solve.

So the thing is that I have lots of logs from company, and I wanna identify each visit to a page, to be able then to create a dashbord with the number of pages visited x user, x client, x month/week... etc

The main problem is that there is not and ID to identify when a "session" is starting nor finishing. I just have a bunch of blobs and I need to identify each session.

The multiple options would be:

• Is the same user? If the user changes then it's another session.
  • The time makes sense: if he/she connects at 1pm, I can have different logs from that session, but Im gonna assume that if more than 1h has passed, it's another session.
  • If the page changes, let's say from project to home, then I would also consider it another session
  • We also wanna know how much time each user spends in the same page and the last page they visit.Power Bi community.pngI've tried to recreate the situation in an excel file, hope that makes sense.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Cheers!

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-henryk-mstf and thanks for the reply 😃

I've tried to recreate the table I have, I cannot post ithe exact table since there is data from the company. 

The column Visits is the expected result yes. The time spend in the page, as you say, would be the last time minus the entry time.

And the change in the visit would be affected by change of the user, also if the user changes the group page; what I mean is that I have the main page (project for example) and then the different subpages under it (like projectmain, project build, projectcanvas...).

Last, if there is a big gap in the times, say I have same user, same page, he starts at 17:30, and the next time is 19h,  I would consider this as another visit. 

Hope that makes sense.

Thank you so much for your time ^^

v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Can you briefly describe your needs. Is the Visits field in the screenshot the expected result you want to get? Does the time spent refer to the last time under the same Page field minus the start time? Finally, is the change of visit only related to the page or is it affected by both the page and the user?

looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.