Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculate Difference between previous day volume and the next day volume

Hi, 

I have got a table that only contains two column Legend (for Dates) and EOD Volume (for volume) as shown below. 

Table.JPG

I need to calculate the difference between the previous date volume. For example to calculate the difference between Feb 29 to March 2nd, it will be ((1469-1877) / 1469) * 100%. How to do create this measure in power BI. And the data also contains weekends and weekdays and i will need the analysis for all dates regardless of weekends and/or weekdays. Could someone please help me on this. Thank you in advance. 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous  Looks like something to do with the hierarchy you are using in your visual. If I select plain date, I can see the prior date number. Is it a must that you have to use a hierarchy type structure ? If so, you can probably use a calculated column that has the month and date separately. Give it a shot.Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @karun_r and @amitchandak. I really appriciate the help. However, it seems some of the formula given needs to convert the date column (LEGEND) into measure . I am not sure how to get it it done. I have uploaded the power BI file here (https://drive.google.com/file/d/11WQSnt9WuTZE_gNznSu4zzlFULE6LXz2/view?usp=sharing), It only has two columns. I really appriciate if you can help me out with this one. Been on the same issue since the past few days, cant seem to crack it. 😐 Thank you in advance 🙂 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , You can create a day behind measure along with date dimension you can do that

example

sales = SUM(Sales[Sales Amount])

Day behind Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,day))

Change % = divide(([sales]-[Day behind Sales]),[Day behind Sales])

To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s. Refer :
https://radacad.com/creating-calendar-table-in-power-bi-using-dax-functions
https://www.archerpoint.com/blog/Posts/creating-date-table-power-bi
https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/creating-a-simple-date-table-in-dax/

@amitchandak  I think with the dataset @Anonymous has, if we just do a DATEADD(,-1,DAY) on the time dimension, it might not work as the user has gaps in the time dimension.

@AnonymousProbably if you can share a sample .pbix file, it would be easier for us to help. From what I can see in your data, something like this should work in your case

EOD Volumes Prior Date := VAR currentDate = 'Date'[Day]
RETURN CALCULATE([EOD Volumes], LASTNONBLANK('Date'[Day], 'Date'[Day] < currentDate)

@karun_r , @Anonymous 

True.

We can also use like

Last Day 1 = CALCULATE(sum('order'[Qty]),filter(all('Date'),'Date'[Date] =MAXX(FILTER(all('Date'),'Date'[Date]<max('Date'[Date])),'Date'[Date])))
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @amitchandak , 

I tried creating a column like you suggested, but it is not giving me the values as desired 

tria.JPG

Anoter version of @amitchandak 's response. Please feel free to use whatever's work best for you

Prior Day Revenue = VAR currentDate = SELECTEDVALUE(Rev[Date], BLANK())
VAR priorDate =  CALCULATE(MAX(Rev[Date]), ALL(Rev[Date]), Rev[Date] < currentDate)
RETURN CALCULATE([Revenue], Rev[Date] = priorDate)

PBI.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @karun_r , 

I tried the solution you suggested, but I am unable to extract any value for the EOD Volume prior date. 😞 

trial.JPG

@Anonymous  Looks like something to do with the hierarchy you are using in your visual. If I select plain date, I can see the prior date number. Is it a must that you have to use a hierarchy type structure ? If so, you can probably use a calculated column that has the month and date separately. Give it a shot.Capture.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.