Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculate Difference between previous day volume and the next day volume

Hi, 

I have got a table that only contains two column Legend (for Dates) and EOD Volume (for volume) as shown below. 

Table.JPG

I need to calculate the difference between the previous date volume. For example to calculate the difference between Feb 29 to March 2nd, it will be ((1469-1877) / 1469) * 100%. How to do create this measure in power BI. And the data also contains weekends and weekdays and i will need the analysis for all dates regardless of weekends and/or weekdays. Could someone please help me on this. Thank you in advance. 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous  Looks like something to do with the hierarchy you are using in your visual. If I select plain date, I can see the prior date number. Is it a must that you have to use a hierarchy type structure ? If so, you can probably use a calculated column that has the month and date separately. Give it a shot.Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @karun_r and @amitchandak. I really appriciate the help. However, it seems some of the formula given needs to convert the date column (LEGEND) into measure . I am not sure how to get it it done. I have uploaded the power BI file here (https://drive.google.com/file/d/11WQSnt9WuTZE_gNznSu4zzlFULE6LXz2/view?usp=sharing), It only has two columns. I really appriciate if you can help me out with this one. Been on the same issue since the past few days, cant seem to crack it. 😐 Thank you in advance 🙂 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , You can create a day behind measure along with date dimension you can do that

example

sales = SUM(Sales[Sales Amount])

Day behind Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,day))

Change % = divide(([sales]-[Day behind Sales]),[Day behind Sales])

To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s. Refer :
https://radacad.com/creating-calendar-table-in-power-bi-using-dax-functions
https://www.archerpoint.com/blog/Posts/creating-date-table-power-bi
https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/creating-a-simple-date-table-in-dax/

@amitchandak  I think with the dataset @Anonymous has, if we just do a DATEADD(,-1,DAY) on the time dimension, it might not work as the user has gaps in the time dimension.

@AnonymousProbably if you can share a sample .pbix file, it would be easier for us to help. From what I can see in your data, something like this should work in your case

EOD Volumes Prior Date := VAR currentDate = 'Date'[Day]
RETURN CALCULATE([EOD Volumes], LASTNONBLANK('Date'[Day], 'Date'[Day] < currentDate)

@karun_r , @Anonymous 

True.

We can also use like

Last Day 1 = CALCULATE(sum('order'[Qty]),filter(all('Date'),'Date'[Date] =MAXX(FILTER(all('Date'),'Date'[Date]<max('Date'[Date])),'Date'[Date])))
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @amitchandak , 

I tried creating a column like you suggested, but it is not giving me the values as desired 

tria.JPG

Anoter version of @amitchandak 's response. Please feel free to use whatever's work best for you

Prior Day Revenue = VAR currentDate = SELECTEDVALUE(Rev[Date], BLANK())
VAR priorDate =  CALCULATE(MAX(Rev[Date]), ALL(Rev[Date]), Rev[Date] < currentDate)
RETURN CALCULATE([Revenue], Rev[Date] = priorDate)

PBI.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @karun_r , 

I tried the solution you suggested, but I am unable to extract any value for the EOD Volume prior date. 😞 

trial.JPG

@Anonymous  Looks like something to do with the hierarchy you are using in your visual. If I select plain date, I can see the prior date number. Is it a must that you have to use a hierarchy type structure ? If so, you can probably use a calculated column that has the month and date separately. Give it a shot.Capture.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.