Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JordanPearson
Helper II
Helper II

Building a Matrix to split out customers with multiple contracts purchased

Good afternoon all, 

I am looking to create a Matrix view of clientbase, breaking it down into the number + type of contract each customer has purchased. 

After spending a considerable amount of time on this, I'm truly stuck on how the dataset should be structured to achieve the Matrix view that I am looking for. 

Dataset:

Account ID:Count of ContractsContract AContract BContract C
11 1 

Outcome:

Contract AContract BContract CContract D
1 Contract (A + ...11  
1 Contract (B + ...    
1 Contract (C + ...    
1 Contract (D + ...    
2 Contracts (A + ... 1  
2 Contracts (B + ...1   
2 Contracts (C + ...    
2 Contracts (D + ...    
3 Contracts (A + ... 11 
3 Contracts (B + ...1 1 
3 Contracts (C + ...11  
3 Contracts (D + ...   

Essentially, the idea is for us to be able to see "This number of customers have 2 contracts, A + B", "This number of customers have 3 contracts, A+B+C" etc. 

After many hours, I'm able to populate the Matrix to show that Client 2 has contracts A + B, populating the table with a (1) on the A + B, but I'm unable to also get a 1 in the opposite column B + A

Any assistance with this would be really appeciated! 🙂 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @JordanPearson ,

In Power Query, unpivot your dataset as follows. In Power Query, go to New Source>Blank Query then in Advanced Editor paste my code over the default code. You can then follow the steps I took to complete this.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSAWMFOB2rE61kBGQZQUUQosZAljGSqKFSbCwA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Account ID:" = _t, #"Count of Contracts" = _t, #"Contract A" = _t, #"Contract B" = _t, #"Contract C" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Account ID:", type text}, {"Count of Contracts", Int64.Type}, {"Contract A", Int64.Type}, {"Contract B", Int64.Type}, {"Contract C", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed Type",{"Count of Contracts"}),
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Removed Columns", {"Account ID:"}, "Attribute", "Value")
in
    #"Unpivoted Columns"

You can then set up a matrix like this:

BA_Pete_0-1606494665271.png

Or produce a list of accounts that meet your Contract criteria like this:

BA_Pete_0-1606495021932.png

Or create a measure to count the number of accounts that meet your Contract criteria like this:

_noofAccounts = DISTINCTCOUNT(JPearsonTable[Account ID:])

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @JordanPearson ,

In Power Query, unpivot your dataset as follows. In Power Query, go to New Source>Blank Query then in Advanced Editor paste my code over the default code. You can then follow the steps I took to complete this.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSAWMFOB2rE61kBGQZQUUQosZAljGSqKFSbCwA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Account ID:" = _t, #"Count of Contracts" = _t, #"Contract A" = _t, #"Contract B" = _t, #"Contract C" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Account ID:", type text}, {"Count of Contracts", Int64.Type}, {"Contract A", Int64.Type}, {"Contract B", Int64.Type}, {"Contract C", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed Type",{"Count of Contracts"}),
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Removed Columns", {"Account ID:"}, "Attribute", "Value")
in
    #"Unpivoted Columns"

You can then set up a matrix like this:

BA_Pete_0-1606494665271.png

Or produce a list of accounts that meet your Contract criteria like this:

BA_Pete_0-1606495021932.png

Or create a measure to count the number of accounts that meet your Contract criteria like this:

_noofAccounts = DISTINCTCOUNT(JPearsonTable[Account ID:])

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.