Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anthony007
Helper I
Helper I

Build a rating considering the duplicate values

Help please build the rating with DAX.

There is a table with three columns.In the value there are duplicates:

WeekCompanyValue
33Company A44
33Company B44
33Company C100
33Company D50
34Company A60
34Company B20
34Company C80
34Company D200
35Company A1123
35Company B1000
35Company C2000
35Company D2000

I need to build a rating for each company every week:

WeekCompanyValueRank
33Company A444
33Company B443
33Company C1001
33Company D502
34Company A603
34Company B204
34Company C802
34Company D2001
35Company A11233
35Company B10004
35Company C20002
35Company D20001

In Power bi i used 2 formula:

Total value = SUM(Table1[Value])

Rank = RANKX(FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Table1[Company]);NOT(ISBLANK([Total value])));Table1[Total value];;DESC;Dense)

And have next result:

WeekCompanyValueRank
33Company A443
33Company B443
33Company C1001
33Company D502
34Company A603
34Company B204
34Company C802
34Company D2001
35Company A11232
35Company B10003
35Company C20001
35Company D20001

The problem, that the same values ​​have the same rating.

pbix on OneDrive

Thanks for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sorry, stupid sorting order. This will do:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjZW0lFyzs8tSMyrVHAEsk1MlGJ10MSdcIg7A9mGBgaYEi5AtilU3ATNAjMs4iALjLCIgyywwCLuAlYPlTBFs8DQ0MgYU8YJ4lYsepwhhmGRcYHLxAIA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Week = _t, Company = _t, Value = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Week", Int64.Type}, {"Company", type text}, {"Value", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Sorted Rows2" = Table.Buffer(Table.Sort(#"Changed Type",{{"Value", Order.Descending}, {"Company", Order.Descending}})),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Sorted Rows2", {"Week"}, {{"MyRank", each Table.AddIndexColumn(_, "MyRank",1,1), type table}}),
    #"Expanded MyRank" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "MyRank", {"Company", "Value", "MyRank"}, {"Company", "Value", "MyRank.1"}),
    #"Sorted Rows1" = Table.Sort(#"Expanded MyRank",{{"Week", Order.Ascending}, {"MyRank.1", Order.Descending}})
in
    #"Sorted Rows1"

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anthony007
Helper I
Helper I

@ImkeF, can u help please with this formula?

Hi Anthony,

I'm not aware of a possiblity where RANK (in DAX) would return different values for the same amount.

But you can achieve the result you've given here as a static table using M in the query editor:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjZW0lFyzs8tSMyrVHAEsk1MlGJ10MSdcIg7A9mGBgaYEi5AtilU3ATNAjMs4iALjLCIgyywwCLuAlYPlTBFs8DQ0MgYU8YJ4lYsepwhhmGRcYHLxAIA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Week = _t, Company = _t, Value = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Week", Int64.Type}, {"Company", type text}, {"Value", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Changed Type",{{"Company", Order.Descending}, {"Value", Order.Descending}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Sorted Rows", {"Week"}, {{"MyRank", each Table.AddIndexColumn(_, "MyRank",1,1), type table}}),
    #"Expanded MyRank" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "MyRank", {"Company", "Value", "MyRank"}, {"Company", "Value", "MyRank.1"}),
    #"Sorted Rows1" = Table.Sort(#"Expanded MyRank",{{"Week", Order.Ascending}, {"MyRank.1", Order.Descending}})
in
    #"Sorted Rows1"

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

@ImkeF, Thank you for your help =), but the result is not correct:

WeekCompanyValueMyRank.1

33Company A444
33Company B443
33Company C1002
33Company D501
34Company A604
34Company B203
34Company C802
34Company D2001
35Company A11234
35Company B10003
35Company C20002
35Company D20001

33-th week, max value has Company "C". But in the ranking it takes the second place =(

Sorry, stupid sorting order. This will do:

let
    #"Sorted Rows2" = Table.Buffer(Table.Sort(#"Changed Type",{{"Value", Order.Descending}, {"Company", Order.Descending}})),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Sorted Rows2", {"Week"}, {{"MyRank", each Table.AddIndexColumn(_, "MyRank",1,1), type table}}),
in
    #"Sorted Rows1"

Thanks for the help, it works. Now I will try the second set-up - use the in-ID idifier in the measure.

RANKX will return the same ranking for the same value, this is by design and it is the correct behavior. If you want the ranking to be different, then you need to write a measure that takes into account other columns to guarantee that the ranking is unique. How do you decide which of the two identical values should be ranked first? It is up to you to take this decision and, if it does not really matter, you can use the company ID to differentiate between them.

Of course, the result will not be accurate, but if this is what you need, you only need to change the measure to take the company ID into account.

Alberto Ferrari - SQLBI

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.