Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Build a hierarchy with the Matrix Visual without auto subtotals

Hello, everybody,

I am trying to build a hierarchy with a matrix visual where the subtotals are not calculated by PowerBI. Instead, the subtotals from the data source are to be used. (The subtotals result form different mathematical relationships that are already mapped in the initial system and are not to be replicated again in PowerBI.)

My data source currently looks like this:

datasource.PNG

When I create a hierarchy in PowerBI and display it in a matrix visual, I get the following result:

whatIget.PNG

What I actually want (in PowerBI):

whatIwant.PNG

Is there a way to display the data like this? If so, how and what settings do I have to make on the Matrix Visual or my data source?

Thanks for your help! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

Sorry for the delay.

By my tests with your data, I'm afraid that we may not achieve that in Power BI currently.

If you don't have the subtotal as data source we may achieve that. 

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
venug20
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi Dafra,

The output come like this... is it ok for you...

Sample-output1.jpgSample-output2.jpgSample-output.jpg

1. You should take columns in "Rows" from Fields Pane.

2. You should change "Stepped Layout" as "OFF" in "Row Headers" from Format Pane.

3. Yous should change "Row Subtotal" as "OFF" in "Subtotals" from Format Pane.

4.  Click on "At the Lowest Level of Data" from Visual.

If it proper answer, Pls mark as solution...

Regards

Venu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @venug20,

thank you for your answer.

I also discovered the solution with the graded layout 🙂

Unfortunately, the subtotals are wrongly aggregated again during the drillup on level 1.

As I already wrote in the answer to @v-piga-msft post, I am actually dealing with accounting data (balance sheet, income statement). A representation without the additional columns would be desirable.

So far I have experimented with new columns and measures, but I haven't found a solution here either. Maybe I don't have the know-how for this...

Thank you for your efforts and best regards,
Frank

@Anonymous

Pls share your "PBIX", what output is expecting... and Pls share sample output format....

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @venug20,

here is my PBIX file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gmfwxxcrrakxop4/pbiforum.pbix?dl=0

In my matrix representation, all blank lines should be removed. The column "amount" contains the wrong values, what I want are the values as shown in the screenshot:

whatIwant.PNG

Unfortunately I cannot provide the original file. But the problem can also be seen in the example file.

To solve the problem, you can add columns or measures to my data source (Excel file).

Best regards,

Frank

@Anonymous

As per my knowledge, data should be shown in three column, where you dont want blank lines.

which has already provided resolution to you, that is final one for your query..

this is time i proivded sample PBIX file with this link

The sample output is like below....

Sample-Heirarchy.jpg

If it is solution for you, pls accept as solution.... it is help to others...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is my data source as a table, I hope you can copy the data now.

ID

position

amount

level1

level2

level3

Annabel

Annabel

Catherine

Annabel

Catherine

Harry

Annabel

Harry

Michael

Annabel

Michael

Bill

Bill

Brad

Bill

Julie

Julie

Bill

Brad

Chris

Bill

Brad

Chris

Vincent

Bill

Brad

Vincent

If you still can't copy the data, please tell me how to add a table in my message.

When I hide the subtotals, these rows have no value at all. However, they should contain the values colored red. 

Regards

dafra

Hi @Anonymous,

Have you solved your problem?

If you have solved, please accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

Best Regards,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @Anonymous,

Sorry for the delay.

By my tests with your data, I'm afraid that we may not achieve that in Power BI currently.

If you don't have the subtotal as data source we may achieve that. 

Best Regards,

Cherry

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @v-piga-msft,

Thank you for your feedback.

I also have to apologize for the delay.

Too bad that PowerBI does not offer a solution for this.

A solution with subtotals calculated by PowerBI is unfortunately not possible. In fact, it is a matter of deeply nested accounting data. In order to maintain the professional correctness of the data to be displayed, the subtotals should not be calculated by PowerBI. Instead, the values should be taken from the data source.

Will PowerBI provide a solution to my problem in the near future or is there an interesting alternative to solving my problem?

Thanks for your help!

Best Regards,

Frank

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

It seems that you failed to upload the image of your data source, please upload it again as table so that I could copy your data source to have a test.

In addition, you could turn off the subtotals under Format if you don't need it.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.