Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

MattieG72MP
Helper I
Helper I

Best Practice Advice: More Reports & Less Tabs OR Vice Versa?

Hi all, I am after some opinions on what others are doing.

I have a Power BI file with 40 tabs (yep!) and one dataset around 700 MB.

Personally I find it easy to navigate and drillthrough all the related reports but I think users find it more dificult.

If I split the file up into related 3 or 4 related PBIX files I would need to refresh 4 datasets overnight instead of just the one but it may be easier to use for users.

Does anyone have and advice or had a similar problem??

Thanks

Mattie

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
harshaSampath81
Helper II
Helper II

Hi,

first you take 40 tab report and save as 40 tabs report set as another name and go to edit mode and delete unrelevent tabs according to report name.

Harsha

View solution in original post

@MattieG72MPGlad you liked it! but does it serve your purpose???

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
harshaSampath81
Helper II
Helper II

Hi,

first you take 40 tab report and save as 40 tabs report set as another name and go to edit mode and delete unrelevent tabs according to report name.

Harsha

Hi

Yes I agree this is the best approach until something else comes along.

Thanks

Mattie

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @MattieG72MP,

Up to date, we can't click on a callout and navigate you to that special tab.Please review this feature request and vote them. For multiple reports, please try to use bookmark. Using bookmarks in Power BI you can capture the currently configured view of a report page, including filtering and the state of visuals, and later go back to that state by simply selecting that saved bookmark. More details, please review this article: Use bookmarks to share insights and build stories in Power BI (Preview).

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi Angelia

Thank you for the response, I do love the bookark feature I just wish I could add a book mark to a text box or be able to create a button rather thana graphic.

Thanks

Mattie

@MattieG72MP,

Good morning,

Not sure if this helps, and it builds on @v-huizhn-msft (Angelia's) idea, but to help users navigate around, I created a menu (or content) page in the report using thumbnails (and a descriptive title- apologies since it's in spanish). I like the idea of thumbnails because I have a feeling that as users get used to the content, the images will act as a visual aid.

These thumbnails are interactive and take you to the corresponding page in the report (using the bookmark feature). I also included a "menu" button on each report page to bring users back to the menu page. This is what it looks like today:

IMG_1211.PNG

Each thumbnail is a screenshot of the corresponding page in the report. I then added a descriptive title and assigned the relevant bookmark to the imported image.Thumbnail bookmark.png

The report is growing, so I'll either make the thumbnails smaller as I add more pages, or just include a "second" page by using the bookmark function in a toggle button (to hide and reveal relevant thumbnails) to navigate back and forth between both pages.

The only thing I'm missing is the ability to somehow include a link to this menu page within dashboards without having to pin a live page, which I feel is clumsy.

The use of bookmarks for this function also invokes the requirement to be able to organise bookmarks (into folders etc) to differentiate between the author's and the different user's bookmark requirements, but that is a different story.

(I also wish that when using the FORMAT function in a string it would keep the language integrity of as per my windows settings - see the date on the right hand side of the menu page title- , but I have "given up" fighting against it...)

Anyway, just an idea.

Paul on Linkedin.

That is pretty cool actually 🙂
Mattie

@MattieG72MPGlad you liked it! but does it serve your purpose???

Paul on Linkedin.

Hi @MattieG72MP,

If you think my reply is useful, could you please mark it as reply? So that we can close the thread, thanks for understanding.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi @MattieG72MP,

Please vote the feature request or create a new idea here.

Thanks,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.